Cow With Large Belly

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hey out there! Late this summer we purchased a 10 year old pregnant Longhorn Cow with a very good looking bull calf at side. She comes from excellent bloodlines and has 64" horn and tends to outproduce herself. Anyway, presently, she is about six months pregnant. Using a weight tape, she "weighed" about 900#; however, she "looks" like she waeighs about 1,200#...lol. Last month had Vet out and he gave her some shots and checked her out--said was possibly due to eating some bad weeds (we have very few weeds in our pasture)that caused her to build up fluid in her abdominal area (she looks like she is about to have triplets--full sized ones! LOL.). Vet also recommended she be put on "dry lot" feeding, which we did--some reduction in belly size after about a month. She appears to be in NO stress or discomfort. The very reputable breeder we got her from swears nothing is wrong with her. This cow is the ONLY one in our herd who seems to have a "belly" problem--we have 2 other cows (younger) that are about the same time along in their pregnancy.

Anyone have any ideas? Comments? Appreciate any input out there! Thanks.

[email protected]

Is this the breed that is so healthy and worry-free?

Seriously, talk to the vet again and let him know how she's doing. He may want to see her again. And she might be carrying twins. Each cow is different. Some of them get bigger than others during pregnancy. If she's eating and doesn't seem stressed, she's probably OK.

Ok...ya got me! LOL. Guess I'm just a worrier---when ya got $3,000+ in a pregnant cow and bull calf---well, guess daddy worries a little! She's eating, drinking, pooping ok...seems contented enough. Seriously, will continue to monitor her...know twins are exception, not rule. If this is the case, then that's a great bonus for her 2003 calving! Thanks for your input. Have a good one. Bill

[email protected]

You do know that a heifer born twin to a bull calf will likely be a freemartin? Guess I've given you something else to fret about? Good luck...

> Ok...ya got me! LOL. Guess I'm
> just a worrier---when ya got
> $3,000+ in a pregnant cow and bull
> calf---well, guess daddy worries a
> little! She's eating, drinking,
> pooping ok...seems contented
> enough. Seriously, will continue
> to monitor her...know twins are
> exception, not rule. If this is
> the case, then that's a great
> bonus for her 2003 calving! Thanks
> for your input. Have a good one.
> Bill

Any idea what the likelihood of having same sex calves is compared to opposite sex calves?

I swear my Jersey looks like she's carrying twins -- she was AI'd and is 5 months along and is every bit as big as she was 2-3 weeks before she calved last time. I'm just wondering how likely it would be for her to have same sex twins vs. opposite sex twins.

Ann B

Twins are a curse more often then a blessing. They stress the cow more, both carrying them and feeding them. The frequency of cows not breeding back on time after having twins is much higher. The cow will require a much higher plain of nutrition.

dunmovin farms

> Bill

Interested in any ocean-front property in AZ?

> Bill

Thanks to all so far who have provided input on my cow! In response to several follow-up posts: First, I don't know if she is expecting twins--she just looks huge compared to my other cows about same stage of pregnancy. And, I too, do not want twins that could include a heifer and bull--don't need that issue/problem.

Yes, she wasn't a cheap 3 in 1 package; however, she is from some top bloodlines and should compliment our program very well. All of our heifers we have purchased have been over $800 each and one five month old heifer we purchased is a half-sister to a calf that sold for $3,000 last year (sigh--it wasn't us who sold the calf). All of our stock is either registered, dual registered, or otherwise pending registration as soon as we get them branded, etc.

As a sidebar note--at a Longhorn Sale this summer one cow with very good horns sold at auction for $59,000--seller was in South Texas area and her sale received national publicity. This is a RARE exception to say the least. Several years back, one Longhorn Bull sold for $103,000 (think that was a record price on a sale).

[email protected]

I'll have to agree on this one too! Anybody that would pay $59,000 for a cow (or $103,000 for a bull) is eligible candidate for some ocean front property in Nevada! Animal would have to do a lot more work than just eat and breed! LOL.

[email protected]

Latest posts