cow with hurt foot

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a cow that got her back leg caught in cattle rub that was hanging in the barn. We found her and I think she had been caught up in it for about 6 hours. It has been a week, and her leg or ankle looks worse now than when it happened. We had to cut it off of her. Maybe the circulation was cut off somewhat. But the ankle is very swollen and the skin and hair is coming off around where the rub was wrapped around the leg and also the dew claw is come loose a little bit. How would you treat this?

She is eating well, and is limping some but it is really looking bad with the tissue coming loose and it is very swollen. Thanks!

Does she have a temp? Did the rub penetrate her skin? If so did you give an antibiotic or at least spray some iodine or the like on it?
Sounds like she has an infection

Re:
How would you treat this?
As it is very apparent blood circulation was cut off for a long enough period of time to cause tissue to die, if she can still walk, I would recommend putting wheels under her ASAP.
SL

Since I am new to all of this, what do you mean put "wheels under her?"

This happened probably 2 weeks ago. She was limping after it happened, but my farm helper found her and I did not even see the actual place. I thought it was on the front leg but it was the back leg, so there was nothing I noticed then. But she has been doing well, and everything was normal until he told me that now it is swollen and the tissue is torn or is peeling off where the rub was against the skin. He has been treating her with an antiseptic product.

So is there a product that would be better to go on the leg? She does not seem to be bothered alot with it, but it looks pretty bad.

Might not hurt to get a vet to assess whether you can save her before you pump her full of antibiotics or other measures. Once she is on antibiotics and if you can't save her and have to butcher, there is a withdrawl time when dealing with medicines.
Hopefully, it will only peel a small area off and heal up no problem, as long as she doesn't have something more serious like ganegreen or something real nasty. Thats why I suggested talking to a vet before you pour a whole bunch of money into her.
That said I have seen some pretty big areas of hide missing on cattle that healed up fine, but it takes alot of time and dedication to keep on treating the animal day after day after day, and alot of people can't or won't do it..
Hope it turns out well for you..
Nite Hawk

Latest posts