Cow with cut above her hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

ebkyle2

Reaction score
I have a cow that has a pretty large cut right above her hoof. It isn't so much a cut as she peeled the skin back over an area about the size of your fist. There doesn't appear to be any muscle or tendon damage. She is really gentle, but a long way from the corral. Last night I walked right up to her and sprayed an iodine solution on the cut with no problem. My question is, does anyone have any suggestion on what to treat her foot with out in the pasture. Hopefully in a couple days she won't be quite so gimpy and I can walk her up to the corral. Thanks.

I had a cow cut her foot just above/on hoof a couple years ago, I sprayed it with iodine and hauled her to the vet. All he did was trim up the hoof, (it was sorta like a hang nail) cleaned it and put a bandaid tape on it. She pulled the tape off first day. His only advise was to give her a shot of long lasting penicillin if she didn't stop limping around in a couple days. She stopped limping and so didn't give her a shot. Probably it will be fine. Good Luck! donna

I have to agrre with Donna ~ spray it if and when you can but I am thinking it will heal given time.

Long-acting penn if you can give her a shot. We soak the area down with peroxide first, then cover it in either iodine or scarlet oil.

Make sure it drains well.

Latest posts