Cow with calf but not many groceries

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
:tiphat:

I'm a newbie to cattle raising and this board, would appreciate all the advise I can get! I just recently bought a heifer with first calf but she does not have much milk, didnt know until vet told me after he vac. cow and snipped steer, he's a small little guy but seems ok. Since this is her first will she not produce well with next breeding you think?

If your calf is doing fine ~ why did the vet feel that she is not producing enough milk, did he say?
If she is not producing enough milk for this calf then sell her after weaning, its not worth your time to see if she will produce better next calving. Keep an eye on the calf to make sure he continues to grow and do well. Is she in good shape?

:wave: Vet said not much bag. He thinks calf is older than his size. I'm trying to build a small heard of angus, dad started me off with two heifers, still really green in cattle knowledge.

Yeah ~ I used to think that not much bag meant something too. They'll set you straight on that here pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about it. If the calf is in good shape and mama is in good shape, bag should not be used as an indicator of how much milk she is giving ~ promise ;-)

Good luck!

A calf not getting enough milk but on hay and pasture will have a potty look. Since you don;t know the nutrition of the heifer there is alwasy a chance she'll do better with her subsequent calves. If she is low on milk it could be genetic but it could also be P-poor managment on the previous owners part. You could start creep feeding the calf if it has that potgut look.

:nod:
Calf does have a little potgut look what does that indicate?But its poop looks good a little firm.

wood2":1y6y3xfs said:
:nod:
Calf does have a little potgut look what does that indicate?But its poop looks good a little firm.

That's a godd indication of inadequate milk. Start him on some grain or creep feed. Still doesn;t really mean all that much about the cow longterm.

Had one like that this year. I don't know if the drought caused it or what, but the calf was premature. I guess the heifer's system wasn't ready for the calf and milk didn't start to come until way later. She's milking fairly well now, but the premie calf doesn't look as if it will ever make much of anything.