Cow With Calf Aggression

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":3aka2kf0 said:
I handled thousands of calves on the day of their birth for nearly 40 years.....
weighed , tagged, in some cases tattoed, in some case shots and normally iodine on the navel....
have dealt with all sorts of attitudes from killer to totally uninterested....I would rather have the killer than the cow who does not care....
I have been hurt several times in my younger days....

Had one cow take 1400 lb appendix QH out from under me and he got up and hauled a$$ leaving me there to my own devices....

had one cow get me down and had the snow not been two feet deep she would have killed me....lamed me up pretty good as it was....

roped a lame calf once that was 300 lbs anyway...he bawled and mama came looking for something to kill....she treed me and dang near killed my dog....

had a young cow than had not calved yet but was in labor....claim another cows calf and she chased me thru a dark barn at night until I ran into a barn post and dang near busted my head open....I came to about two hours later still laying in the barn and she had had her calf and was still huffing at me....why she did not kill me while I was out is beyond my reasoning.....
have roped and reeled in a many a calf....have had cows get in the back of the pickup truck with me.....

over time I figured out ways to keep me and the calf alive....

never trust any of them....have a way out...sometimes it is under the truck or the tractor....some of them can not be buffaloed....

best money I ever spent was for one of those calf catching hooks....really helps....

Like Smokey says...."Only You can....." keep you alive.

I would not allow by older partner to be with me when tagging because he was not agile enough and I could not handle the calf and protect him....made him mad as heck but he survived it....won't let my wife near one now for the same reason....

Those lines really got my funnie bone going!!! :lol:

Mine too... reminded me of my husband. We were at my uncle's place and he had just got done telling us what a problem he was having with his dog chasing after vehicles that came down the lane. He said he just KNEW that dog was going to be dead soon for doing it. Well, as we're talking some kids in a truck go FLYING past the house and the dog takes off... well, Jeff lunges to grab the dog and runs into a tree WITH HIS HEAD. Knocks the bark off and everything. We still laugh about it...

One day i figure my family will find me in a field crumpled into the dirt and they will wonder what the heck i got myself into...lol... I've been chased, stared down and run over, through and under fences. After 35 years in the cattle business, last week i was finally run down and it wasnt even my fault. My husband grabbed a heifers new calf, heifer came at him he moved and i couldnt get out of the way..lol.. She threw me to the ground and rolled me around and then went over leaving hoof prints from my thighs to my shoulder. And, i was glad she got me, my pregnant daughter was the next one. She went up the fence while i was being rolled around. I did not want her in there and when i got up off the ground and brushed the poop out of my hair i told her that is the exact reason i dont want her in there.
My course of action for a sick calf is this, if i can catch its sick. If i cant, its ok. There are times though i need to catch a healthy calf. If its having trouble nursing a big udder, if for some reason they arent getting enough food i'll need to do something. If i'm impatient, i'll run up along it on Red Pony, grab it by the tail to stop it, grab it by a back leg and walk it up over the seat of my 4wheeler. I then straddle it and sit on it to keep it from wiggling off. I use to set them over my lap but theres problems doing it this way. First is the obvious, if its a bull they always pee. Second, if its a lackluster calf, at first they may just sit there. But i've had calves i thought were half dead nearly climb over the top of me all of a sudden. So now i straddle them to hold them in place.
I once had a very aggressive mother with a calf who was having problems. It was a big sim bull calf, kind of slow and dumb. I dont remember the exact reasons i felt i needed to bring it in, i think i recall it was fixated on a rogue nipple on the udder and was starving. Anywho, i got this monster on my 4wheeler while his mother was grazing off out of sight. I slowly worked him to the corral and when i was halfway, he called her. She came after me and i hit the gas and was going around 20 mph and she caught up to me. Envision the scene in Jurassic Park where the people were in the jeep and the T rex was catching up to them..lol The cow caught up and started ramming my 4wheeler. The only thing that saved me was the new bricks my husband put at a muddy spot at a gate, she slowed down because the bricks hurt her feet. I get into all kinds of stuff on my 4wheeler.

cowgirl8":38x1js0v said:
One day i figure my family will find me in a field crumpled into the dirt and they will wonder what the heck i got myself into...lol... I've been chased, stared down and run over, through and under fences. After 35 years in the cattle business, last week i was finally run down and it wasnt even my fault. My husband grabbed a heifers new calf, heifer came at him he moved and i couldnt get out of the way..lol.. She threw me to the ground and rolled me around and then went over leaving hoof prints from my thighs to my shoulder. And, i was glad she got me, my pregnant daughter was the next one. She went up the fence while i was being rolled around. I did not want her in there and when i got up off the ground and brushed the poop out of my hair i told her that is the exact reason i dont want her in there.
My course of action for a sick calf is this, if i can catch its sick. If i cant, its ok. There are times though i need to catch a healthy calf. If its having trouble nursing a big udder, if for some reason they arent getting enough food i'll need to do something. If i'm impatient, i'll run up along it on Red Pony, grab it by the tail to stop it, grab it by a back leg and walk it up over the seat of my 4wheeler. I then straddle it and sit on it to keep it from wiggling off. I use to set them over my lap but theres problems doing it this way. First is the obvious, if its a bull they always pee. Second, if its a lackluster calf, at first they may just sit there. But i've had calves i thought were half dead nearly climb over the top of me all of a sudden. So now i straddle them to hold them in place.
I once had a very aggressive mother with a calf who was having problems. It was a big sim bull calf, kind of slow and dumb. I dont remember the exact reasons i felt i needed to bring it in, i think i recall it was fixated on a rogue nipple on the udder and was starving. Anywho, i got this monster on my 4wheeler while his mother was grazing off out of sight. I slowly worked him to the corral and when i was halfway, he called her. She came after me and i hit the gas and was going around 20 mph and she caught up to me. Envision the scene in Jurassic Park where the people were in the jeep and the T rex was catching up to them..lol The cow caught up and started ramming my 4wheeler. The only thing that saved me was the new bricks my husband put at a muddy spot at a gate, she slowed down because the bricks hurt her feet. I get into all kinds of stuff on my 4wheeler.

Nice stories. Interesting hearing your experiences!

Thanks Inyati! Can't get any fresher born than that! She had just hit the ground! Lucky I was not caught in my jammies! :D

Them's my kind of cows BrangusCowgirl! I have a bunch that aren't like that though.

If this is the vid I think it is (can't watch youtube from my puter) it is me clipping the udder hairs off "Maddy" 1/2 an hour after she calved, and she doesn't flinch
[youtube]V9R5bmlHlCE[/youtube]

Firesweep that was a few years ago at my ranch a bit further south. Had no irrigation there.
But yes, my grass is even better where I am now. Have already started irrigating, it is about 80% or more clover here. So rich that I have to pull all my horses off of it all spring and summer. :D Gotta love the California sunshine! :nod:

Nesi that video may not be the one you were looking for. Looks like she sent you to the fence in this one! :lol:

That mamma was liking slime off of me and the calf both! :lol:

Grrr.. PITA trying to post videos when you only see the thumbnail image..
I had to carry a calf the last couple nights... the heiferettes were really intersted in licking me.. new smells! Hopefully they are that interested in their own calf!

Nice picture!!
pdfAngus--just, DANG!!
I've only got one problem momma here. Docile as a puppy till she drops a calf, then ya better give her a wide margin of error.

I find that cow amniotic fluid to be very good for our skin. :nod:
When our kids showed heifers, we had many pet cows and a lot of our herd can almost be traced back to these show heifers. After so many years, we have just one left we can put a halter on, Tator. My son can even sit on her. But this is what makes the difference in hobby and business.. I have some cows who will let me touch their noses, some that will follow me around with a bucket..But, pets are a lot of work, even when you halter break them. No kids left with the time and we have no time for that, too many cows, too little time.