cow walks around with tail up..

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Bif - TMI about your xwife :oops:

I had a cow do this (stand around with her tail out) and the bull was interested in her but she should have been having a calf at any time. I took her to the vet and she had a uterine infection. The infection caused higher levels of estrogen which is why the bull was interested in her. Took her to the vet and he gave her a uterine infusiuon of antibiotics, and kept her away from the bull for a couple of weeks.

Does your bull show interest in this cow?

I calved out 25 heifers this past month and two of them did this very thing for about two weeks before calving. Also they were very nervous during this period. In the end, we had two assist both, they were the only ones we helped. So if she is bred and about due be prepared.

Do not give Bute to this or any other food-producing animal.
FDA regulations:
For animals, phenylbutazone is currently approved only for oral and
injectable use in dogs and horses. Use in horses is limited to use in
horses not intended for food. There are currently no approved uses of
phenylbutazone in food-producing animals.
Full text
http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/03-4741.htm

Had a cow do something like this. She held her tail all the time and occasionally hunch her back up. Turned out it was bladder infection. Very painful. Think a vet may be a good idea.

Forgot to add - she grazed normally and looked fine until I caught her hunching herself up like that.

Cattle Rack Rancher":11o2ts1h said:
my x-wife used to do that too when she was in heat. about once a year

Is this a recent thing for you?

I used to have a bumper sticker that said 'I Miss My EX But My Aim Is Getting Better.'

no i r-u-n-n-o-f-t from her 5 years ago
Glory Halejujah!

Cattle Rack Rancher":1rx3upvf said:
no i r-u-n-n-o-f-t from her 5 years ago

Her name weren't missus Hogwaller was it? :cboy:

how did you know that???
:shock:
i better knock it off somebody might get to thinking i was married to an old cow...

thanks for the replies... she is doing better today... she is not bred and the bull is not interested in her...hopefully she will continue to improve...

jt

Craig-TX":2vwi16ky said:
How big/old is she and how big/old is your bull?

Craig-TX

she is a 3 yr old, smaller framed tigerstripe, probably wont go over 900... i havent had her long, bought her from a guy selling down some a little while back...bought her as a wet bag open cow... bull she is with is about 1450... to date, i havent noticed him following her at all...

jt

why avoid Bute? I wonder... It only can cause aplastic anemia in humans if you eat the meat.
And what is aplastic anemia you ask?
Aplastic anemia is a rare but extremely serious disorder that results from the unexplained failure of the bone marrow to produce blood cells. That if you have it is considered a medical emergancy and you need an immediate bone marrow transplant.

There are reasons for the laws as they are. It is to protect consumers from people like you who break them. And thus put them at risk.
Beside off label use of drugs is illegal unless perscribed by a vet.

There are safer and better alternatives out there. Such a Banamine if you need a non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory. So get off your high horse and do the right thing.
P.S. If you are going to be a jerk please go somewhere else.

AS for the cow-
It sounds like just watching her is the right thing to do. I hope she continues to inprove.

jt":2hjileve said:
Craig-TX":2hjileve said:

she is a 3 yr old, smaller framed tigerstripe, probably wont go over 900... i havent had her long, bought her from a guy selling down some a little while back...bought her as a wet bag open cow... bull she is with is about 1450... to date, i havent noticed him following her at all...

Without getting too graphic, there is a chance that when you weren't around she was bred. Hard. Time will tell.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":2ggtcmfv said:
jt":2ggtcmfv said:
Craig-TX":2ggtcmfv said:

Without getting too graphic, there is a chance that when you weren't around she was bred. Hard. Time will tell.

Craig-TX

you could be right craig... i have been out of place for a few days.. and it has been hard to deal with this, but she is better now..

thanks

jt

Latest posts