cow w/very small 3mth calf milk drying up

Help Support CattleToday:

b&langusfarms

Reaction score
I am asking this for my brother in law... He has a 3 yr old black angus cow (2nd calf) He purchased the pair in March and the baby was the size of other calves of the same age (about 95lbs) 3 wks old or so. Anyway it is now 3 mths old and still very small (havent caught it to weight it yet) He is creep feeding it to try to get some weight on it. It look great and acts completely normal just very small. Also today I knoticed that the cows bag which has never been very big to start off with is hardly even a bag at all. It looks as though she is dry or very close to it. Questions.... Seperate calf and bottle? or feed extra? Or leave as is? And is there anything to get the milk back once it starts to go? Any sugsestions as to why this is happening? Mom looked skinny and had a cough when we got them in March but now is good body condition and looks much better. Sorry Iknow itslong winded... :oops:

he bought a bad cow with no milk to start with.wean the calf an put it on feed an grass.an send the cow to the sale an cut her head off.your bro in law bought a cull cow.

You may want to try supplementing the cow but it appears she needs to hit the road.

you can try to get the calf to drink a bottle an feed her milk.but 3 months old she may not take a bottle.so id see if i couldnt get her to eating feed.

bigbull338":2n1qfvt5 said:
he bought a bad cow with no milk to start with.wean the calf an put it on feed an grass.an send the cow to the sale an cut her head off.your bro in law bought a cull cow.

I agree 100%

YUP, the cow should go. But if the calf is still hanging around nursing, its still getting something. Maybe give the cow a little extra nourishment, build her up a bit. She will milk a bit better, maybe get some more pounds on her. Then in about 2 months after the calf is on feed, send her to town or make burger.

Well we took the calf off of her, but my bro in law isnt ready to cull her just yet. He will give her a 2nd chance he says. Anyway the calf is at my house and penned up. There is no way I could catch her to bottle her easily. I am creep feeding her some calf starter, and she is eating it. He had already been creep feeding the calves for 3 or 4 weeks, so she was used to it. She appears to be eating and drinking good. She is just very upset to be in there alone. :cry2:

b&langusfarms":1ymrw549 said:
Well we took the calf off of her, but my bro in law isnt ready to cull her just yet. He will give her a 2nd chance he says.

:shock: Sell her and the calf and buy a cow that is half decent.

b&langusfarms":fuxizkwj said:
I am asking this for my brother in law... He has a 3 yr old black angus cow (2nd calf) He purchased the pair in March and the baby was the size of other calves of the same age (about 95lbs) 3 wks old or so. Anyway it is now 3 mths old and still very small (havent caught it to weight it yet) He is creep feeding it to try to get some weight on it. It look great and acts completely normal just very small. Also today I knoticed that the cows bag which has never been very big to start off with is hardly even a bag at all. It looks as though she is dry or very close to it. Questions.... Seperate calf and bottle? or feed extra? Or leave as is? And is there anything to get the milk back once it starts to go? Any sugsestions as to why this is happening? Mom looked skinny and had a cough when we got them in March but now is good body condition and looks much better. Sorry Iknow itslong winded... :oops:

Since it appears that she is a good-looking cow, and was sick and in poor body condition at the time of purchase I would do two things - I would supplement her with a little extra grain to increase her milk production, and either supplement the calf with a bottle here and there to support his growth, or creep feed him. Given the circumstances at the time of her purchase - I would also be a lot more inclined to give her a 2nd chance to do her job when she is in better body condition. A cow needs a few basic things to properly raise a calf, and one of those things is for her to be in good enough condition to be able to produce milk - it does not sound like she was when she was purchased.