Cow Troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

I come from the San Joaquin Valley. Home to many farmers.

We also have many rodeos in the area. Ken Curtis (Festus from Gunsmoke) is celebrated in many of our towns, as he came from here.

The "wierdness" is mostly confined to the big cities.

Oh... well then...

There's still the occasional weirdness that seeps out of urban areas... LOL

I come from the San Joaquin Valley. Home to many farmers.

We also have many rodeos in the area. Ken Curtis (Festus from Gunsmoke) is celebrated in many of our towns, as he came from here.

One of my coworkers was upset because a horse ran into her stopped car and broke the side view mirror off of it. I used to tease her about it every once in a while. "Run into any horses lately?"

My grandmother used to sew her own pigs when (after) they fought.

We'd go out in the yard and catch a chicken for dinner (when we were told to).

Not everyone from California lives in the big cities. There's lots of ag land around.

The "wierdness" is mostly confined to the big cities.
Sure, there is. Doesn't matter. The cultural disparity alone is enough to ward off many people. Rural people from anywhere can have a good conversation, my 80% friend isn't my 20% enemy. But that doesn't account for the fact that when people from certain parts of the country move to another and start to accumulate, things often begin to change. Doesn't have to be malicious, usually isn't, usually just people pushing small changes based on what they were used to before. If I made a thread on here asking people how they feel about using dogs for deer hunting you'd see exactly what I mean and see the small differences even between people who otherwise live mostly alike. Not saying this is you, but it gets to the point where it's safer to assume than not.

Sure, there is. Doesn't matter. The cultural disparity alone is enough to ward off many people. Rural people from anywhere can have a good conversation, my 80% friend isn't my 20% enemy. But that doesn't account for the fact that when people from certain parts of the country move to another and start to accumulate, things often begin to change. Doesn't have to be malicious, usually isn't, usually just people pushing small changes based on what they were used to before. If I made a thread on here asking people how they feel about using dogs for deer hunting you'd see exactly what I mean and see the small differences even between people who otherwise live mostly alike. Not saying this is you, but it gets to the point where it's safer to assume than not.
My dad tried to use our dog. She was brave as anything around does. But, the first time she saw a buck, she ran full speed, howling the whole way back to camp.

I understand what you're saying about people moving. Believe me, I am careful to NOT duplicate that from which I escaped.

I see many differences between here and there. Some differences I think might be better if implemented here, but I'm not going to suggest them, because it may start an avalanche. Things are good now, so don't rock the boat.

I'm actually disappointed to see some traffic lights being changed from the way I like it, the way it was when I moved here, to a California style.

I'm also disappointed to see what I call "California driving" here. When we first moved here, the pace was slower. People would stop and wave you out of a parking lot, etc. Now, many go at least 10 MPH over the speed limit and don't you ever expect them to slow, even if you "technically" are supposed to have the right of way.

We only have 2 traffic officers (I checked), so they have their hands full.

No, I'm no fan of California ways.

Too bad. It has some of the most beautiful mountains and coasts in the Nation.

I was waiting for someone to come to my defense. As that didn't happen, I'll let you pick your answer:

1) So, it's all right for you to insist I build a fence, but it's not all right for me to suggest an additional fence as a solution to a years long problem.

2) What was your solution again?

For those who provided helpful answers: Thank you and God Bless.

For the rest: Have a better tomorrow.

I was waiting for someone to come to my defense. As that didn't happen, I'll let you pick your answer:

1) So, it's all right for you to insist I build a fence, but it's not all right for me to suggest an additional fence as a solution to a years long problem.

2) What was your solution again?
Different problem. Fence out means you are responsible to fence cattle out of your property. And it means ADOT is responsible to fence cattle out of its right of way. Same with Union Pacific. Of course I will fix a hole if I see it, but I'm not buiding 3 or 4 miles of fence for the state. I will do halves or do labor/materials with a neighbor, no problem. But the interstate is ADOT's responsibility. If they want to move the road someplace else, I don't have a problem with that either. This ranch was here LONG before I-10 was built.

Eat beef.
In Texas that's theft.
Better enjoy it cause that will be some expensive beef before it's over served with crow.
Crow ain't too bad beaks and feet little tough.
Only the sheriff can have the animal removed or impounded for damage. Injure the livestock and your responsible.

As some one said call the law each states laws are different.
Heck in Texas there different from county to county on the fence part.
The injure or theft is state wide law.

In Texas that's theft.
Better enjoy it cause that will be some expensive beef before it's over served with crow.
Only the sheriff can have the animal removed or impounded for damage. Injure the livestock and your responsible.

That was pretty well settled about 10-15 years ago in Oregon (probably settled way before that). Some city dweller moved to the John Day area and bought 160 cares. Cows came on to his place. He called the owner. The cow owner told him to build a fence. He called the cops. Was told to build a fence. Called everyone under the sun and got the same answer. He shot a small herd of cows. It took a while but after the court case he ended up paying for the cows, the lawyer bills of the cow owner, and court costs. Would have been a lot cheaper to build the fence.

In Texas that's theft.

Too late. Pass the bleu cheese...

That was pretty well settled about 10-15 years ago in Oregon (probably settled way before that). Some city dweller moved to the John Day area and bought 160 cares. Cows came on to his place. He called the owner. The cow owner told him to build a fence. He called the cops. Was told to build a fence. Called everyone under the sun and got the same answer. He shot a small herd of cows. It took a while but after the court case he ended up paying for the cows, the lawyer bills of the cow owner, and court costs. Would have been a lot cheaper to build the fence.
we are in a fence-out area, and we had a lot of legal troubles over that because DOT wouldn't let us fence out the road allowance by not letting us put cattleguards in (we're on a small dirt road), and we have good fences, but we have cows (and of course bulls too), and there's no single fence that'll hold up to that. Dad ended up threatening to shoot the bull to both the owner and to Forestry (that issues the local grazing permits), which had him in court.. the judge convicted my dad to be "reasonable" in dealing with the forestry, which meant that forestry had to be reasonable as well.. Lo and behold, DOT finally allowed cattleguards!.. In fact, forestry bought all the materials for a new drift fence and bought the cattleguards from us.. we had to put up the fence. Much less issue since then!