Cow Troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

Cows Away

Reaction score
We're in a fence out state. We're in the city and in a subdivision. We have cows eating our front yard landscaping. We are not allowed to put a fence up around the front yard (CCR's). How can we contact the cow owners as we have no idea where they're coming from? What else can we do? Thanks for any help or useful suggestions.

Call the local or the state police. Even in a fence out state, there are laws for cattle that get on the roads.... every fence out state is different... but here even in the fence out counties, the animal owners are responsible for certain damages. What state/area are you in? Have you read all the local ordinances?
What are CCR's ????
Also temp elec fences OFTEN do not fall under the same rules as permanent fences.... a strand or 2 of electric that is hooked to a plug in charger will hit them with a good jolt....

Thanks. We're in Arizona. Covenants, conditions and restrictions. (Common in subdivisions.) Even if that were allowed, I fear a kid or small animal getting a hold of it as this is a subdivision with sidewalks, not open land.

Call 911 like farmerjan said. Notice if there is a brand/tattoo on the cattle and describe it to the dispatcher. The Arizona Traffic Operations Center has a list of cattle brands and ranches.

Buy a sorting paddle.

Alternatively, walk out and yell at them.
They tend to arrive and feast while we sleep. Last time, I was awakened by mooing. I got out of bed and chased about 20 cows away. They did not let me get within 20 feet of them.

Call 911 like farmerjan said. Notice if there is a brand/tattoo on the cattle and describe it to the dispatcher. The Arizona Traffic Operations Center has a list of cattle brands and ranches.
I guess I can try to get near to them, but they usually run if I approach.

Call the local or the state police. Even in a fence out state, there are laws for cattle that get on the roads.... every fence out state is different... but here even in the fence out counties, the animal owners are responsible for certain damages. What state/area are you in? Have you read all the local ordinances?
What are CCR's ????
Fence out, or open range?
Is there a difference?

Back when I was young, cattle (and domestic hogs) were quite often on the roads in the county I just left. It was open range for about the 1st two dozen years of my life. All of Texas, by state statute is open range. It's up to the individual counties to decide whether to vote in a stock law or not.
In Texas, if the county is open range, livestock could roam free on any local, rural, county or any of the 41,000 miles of farm to market road that pass thru a county without a stock law.

The only roads livestock couldn't roam on were US Interstates and Texas State highways.

Arizona isn't much different.
Arizona

Law won't help you if you hit a cow in Arizona

Last edited:
I guess I can try to get near to them, but they usually run if I approach.
Yes, cattle tend to act like prey animals. If you had a bucket of grain they might follow you around, but then again, maybe not.

Your best bet is to call the local sheriff after you get a picture of a brand. You know how to enlarge a photo and crop it?

Open range can be county to count or even small areas within a county. The county I live in is all open range except one relatively small area. A hundred years ago a dairy farmer in that neighborhood turned his cows out every night to graze on the road, the neighbors gardens, etc. The neighbors got together and passed an ordinance taking away the open range. Lots of cows in that neighborhood and the best fences in the county. The rest of the county if you hit a cow on the road you get to buy the cow, fix your own car, and pay your own hospital bills.

Yes, cattle tend to act like prey animals. If you had a bucket of grain they might follow you around, but then again, maybe not.

Your best bet is to call the local sheriff after you get a picture of a brand. You know how to enlarge a photo and crop it?
I will see what I can do. It is normally late night when they come around. They run as I approach. Not sure if I can get the picture in the dark, but I'll try. Maybe, slow movement towards them? I have a camera app that will turn the flashlight on during focus and snap. If I can get the picture, I can manipulate it some.

Open range can be county to count or even small areas within a county. The county I live in is all open range except one relatively small area. A hundred years ago a dairy farmer in that neighborhood turned his cows out every night to graze on the road, the neighbors gardens, etc. The neighbors got together and passed an ordinance taking away the open range. Lots of cows in that neighborhood and the best fences in the county. The rest of the county if you hit a cow on the road you get to buy the cow, fix your own car, and pay your own hospital bills.
That's how it is here.

Latest posts