Cow Troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

I wouldn't call it outrage. It's more frustration.

My Brother in Law drives a school bus. Occasionally, he has to sit for up to 45 minutes, waiting for the cows to move. (He's not allowed to get off the bus and scatter them and they ignore honking and lights.) They are basically a nuisance, not a predator.

As we are not present when they eat them, we only see the damage later, there is little to "enjoy". If we saw them, we'd stop them. We only see the after effects.

No, we don't intentionally feed other critters, neither. We have small dogs which take up plenty of time and resources.

We do enjoy looking at wildlife, except when it's eating our decorations.

We don't want to harm them, just keep them from eating our plants.
Does the bus have one of those hinged poles that come out to make it safer for the kids to cross the street? Tie a plastic shopping bag to it and when your BIL triggers the safety feature the billowing bag will scare the cows enough to get them out of the way.

Just gotta think differently if you want to be part of a new living space. Don't bring YOUR attitudes with you and expect everybody else to accommodate YOU. Try to fit in and learn how things work instead of expecting to change systems that work just fine.

We've only been here a year (California escapees) and it has been for the whole time. The plants were put in when we moved in. One morning, they had been eaten down. We never had a clue this could happen before we moved. Questioning neighbors, we then found it happens to them, too.

Since we moved in, we've seen cows infrequently come into the neighborhood long after dark. We've seen a police car herd them out onto open land, then have their dog spread them out and away. (Both police and highway patrol officers live in this subdivision.)

We feel it's our own fault that we didn't question neighbors more thoroughly before we moved, so we need to deal with the issue, lawfully.
Both police/highway patrol officers living in your subdivision suggest to me the owner of the cattle has every right to let his/her cattle roam. Replace your plants with something unappealing, but non-toxic to cattle.

Does the bus have one of those hinged poles that come out to make it safer for the kids to cross the street? Tie a plastic shopping bag to it and when your BIL triggers the safety feature the billowing bag will scare the cows enough to get them out of the way.

Just gotta think differently if you want to be part of a new living space. Don't bring YOUR attitudes with you and expect everybody else to accommodate YOU. Try to fit in and learn how things work instead of expecting to change systems that work just fine.
Most people don't know how to drive through livestock. It's not that hard if you know what you are doing.

I'm going to go against the grain here... I also do not want the da#@ed cows in my front yard. Ours have been finding places in the fence and getting out of the pasture next door and wind up in my yard and walk all through the garden and the flowers. Pull out the flowers because they don't like the taste and drop them... We are a fence out county and so it is my problem.... but I AM ALLOWED to put up a fence. I don't think it is too much to ask by the poster, for suggestions since they are NOT ALLOWED to put up a fence ???? It doesn't sound like they are bringing an attitude with them, just that they wanted to know if there were any way to deal with this issue if they are not allowed to erect a fence due to the CCR's or whatever the restrictions are. I think that if fences were allowed, they would fence off the yard and then the cows could do whatever...

You don't have to tell me...

Tell the OP (Cows Away).
Years ago dad was moving some cows down the highway, and there was a lady that wanted to get through, he told her to follow him and he would get her through. She just kept tooting her horn, he rode up, and slapped his rope down on top of her car; guess it made a pretty good racket. She got the message, she stopped, but I don't remember if she ever got through. I guess she did.

Another time he was moving cows across the interstate. The Warren name had a lot of pull around Cheyenne at that time; The shut down the highway, I think he had five minuets to get across.

Ok. I'll agree with ya a lil bit @farmerjan

I certainly agree about being able to put up a fence. Even a short one.

But I wouldn't buy a house next to a golf coarse and expect em to stop hitting the balls.
Just like if I were a city guy and bought a house next to a farm. I'd expect to step in a cow pie occasionally....

😆

I for one look forward to seeing you on Judge Judy :) lol
hmmm or has she retired?
On an aside, I think Judge Judy is an awful person. She told a teen to stay away from his father for putting down an ill ferral cat. She said he was sick, twisted and a poor roll model. That was the last time I watched her.

Moving cattle on highway in Colorado, around 150 head. Biker type on ape hanger chopper comes up the road
and roars through the herd. Looked like Moses parting the sea

California escapee...

I've got calves roaming the neighbors yards right now. Droughted out. No grass. Hot wire ain't working.
Neighbors love it!

If I were you, I'd go back to California, rather than try and make your new place just like the place you left.
Problem solved
I'm not trying to make this like California. I just asked for advice. Much has been helpful, but some is condecending ...

The buses don't have that bar.

I don't "expect everybody else to accommodate YOU". I was just giving some insight for those who don't live in an area like this.

I don't understand what I've typed to make some people think I want to make trouble. We just want to make things better in regards to our plants.

Both police/highway patrol officers living in your subdivision suggest to me the owner of the cattle has every right to let his/her cattle roam. Replace your plants with something unappealing, but non-toxic to cattle.
We have considered this. We just haven't found anything we like that is safe for animals, but which cows won't eat.

Most people don't know how to drive through livestock. It's not that hard if you know what you are doing.
School bus drivers must follow rules. One of which is to sit and wait. After half an hour, they can call for assistance to arrive and clear the roadway. Usually, the cows move before assistance arrives.

I'm going to go against the grain here... I also do not want the da#@ed cows in my front yard. Ours have been finding places in the fence and getting out of the pasture next door and wind up in my yard and walk all through the garden and the flowers. Pull out the flowers because they don't like the taste and drop them... We are a fence out county and so it is my problem.... but I AM ALLOWED to put up a fence. I don't think it is too much to ask by the poster, for suggestions since they are NOT ALLOWED to put up a fence ???? It doesn't sound like they are bringing an attitude with them, just that they wanted to know if there were any way to deal with this issue if they are not allowed to erect a fence due to the CCR's or whatever the restrictions are. I think that if fences were allowed, they would fence off the yard and then the cows could do whatever...
Exactly. Thank you.

Ok. I'll agree with ya a lil bit @farmerjan

I certainly agree about being able to put up a fence. Even a short one.

But I wouldn't buy a house next to a golf coarse and expect em to stop hitting the balls.
Just like if I were a city guy and bought a house next to a farm. I'd expect to step in a cow pie occasionally....

😆
I agree we should have asked more neighbors before we bought here, but it IS a subdivision with paved roads, fire hydrants, stop signs, gutters and sidewalks. We had no clue cows would come down the road from who knows where.

Attachments

• 20220727_192111.jpg
    20220727_192111.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
After seeing that picture of the "subdivision" I sure as he// would not EXPECT nor WANT cattle to be in my front yard. It would be like cattle walking through the house and yard that @greybeard just retired to. Bad enough he has to deal with the deer... and he has a fence no less....
@Cows Away , I am sorry you got an attitude from other members on here, thinking you were just asking for some advice/help. That is the last place I would expect to see cattle just freely wandering around, fence out state or not.

After seeing that picture of the "subdivision" I sure as he// would not EXPECT nor WANT cattle to be in my front yard. It would be like cattle walking through the house and yard that @greybeard just retired to. Bad enough he has to deal with the deer... and he has a fence no less....
@Cows Away , I am sorry you got an attitude from other members on here, thinking you were just asking for some advice/help. That is the last place I would expect to see cattle just freely wandering around, fence out state or not.
Thanks again. I appreciate your compassion.

It is terrible to realize one needs to know what is beyond the target before pulling the trigger after gun goes off and you are standing there
facing the consequence of your actions. You cannot undo a do but with the right connections one can set the wheels in motion to change
the current circumstance. Don't look for (right minded people in your own opinion). That will keep you where you are. You are receiving
some good advice and comments on these pages. Travlr was spot on when inquired about you considering any options other than what you
arrived with. When you go out the door in the morning go with a come hell or high water I'm going to fix this attitude. Do that for a little
while and look behind you and you will have people following you. The cow situation will get resolved one way or another and there will be
another dragon to slay. How you face and resolve this will determine whether you have what it takes to stay on the horse (Arizona) or
set in the stands. (California) "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right" Henry Ford
I wish you well,,