cow trauma

Help Support CattleToday:

robinkanters

Reaction score
our cow seems to have been bashed up by another cow or horse 3 days ago. She has swellings and gashes over her body and head and her left front knee was very swollen and sore (too painful for her to bend it underneath whilst sitting, so stuck it straight out in front). Since the trauma, it appears she is totally blind, banging into anything in her way and then just standing there with her forehead leaning into it- not knowing where to go to get out of there. She won't turn her head to the left, but either has it straight ahead or turned to the right. she often slowly turns it right around to the right toward her stomach. she only walks in circles to the right. She was eating and drinking yesterday with what I put under her mouth, but is showing extremely little desire for anything at all today. we gave her a shot of long acting penicillin on Saturday morning. are there any suggestions?

Wow. that sounds horrible. first suggestion is to call a vet to see if she should be put down while you can still eat her (except now that she has pen I'm not sure you can). second is there's probably no need for pen since she likely doesn't have an infection and if she did, pen probably wouldn't do anything. third is to try something for the swelling, like banamine, which you can get from your vet when they come out.

Sounds like encephalitic listeriosis.
Suspect the 'trauma' is self-induced.
If it is listeriosis, several rounds of LA-200, administered at proper dosage levels at 3-4 day intervals, may be necessary to save this animal - and there are no guarantees that she'll survive or that, even if she does, that she'll be 'normal' afterward.

Lucky_P":1bbbrwzj said:
Sounds like encephalitic listeriosis.
Suspect the 'trauma' is self-induced.
If it is listeriosis, several rounds of LA-200, administered at proper dosage levels at 3-4 day intervals, may be necessary to save this animal - and there are no guarantees that she'll survive or that, even if she does, that she'll be 'normal' afterward.

luckyp, I suspected it was self inflicted after he said she was blind and turning in circles . I remembered reading of a specific ailment but could not think of what it was.

Latest posts