Cow to the Processor

Help Support CattleToday:

branxchar&charx

Reaction score
Took Little Ms. Prolapse to the processor today. As by her name, she had a vaginal prolapse back in January. Idiot bro in law wanted to keep her "cuz she looks really good."🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ but thats a whole other story. Took her straight off the pasture this morning. So grass-fed, brangus cow. All hamburger except the brisket and guna try a few steaks for giggles.
Snapchat-1052851624.jpg

I was able to feed her cubes from my hand in the pasture, separated her out and she went coocoo.lol. her n her calf a few weeks ago. She put on a few more pounds than this pic.
0721210703a_HDR.jpg

No point looking for trouble. Sure to do it with the next one. Smart move to cull - never sure either if she will pass that propensity on to a heifer calf.

bro in law wanted to keep her "cuz she looks really good."
Took her straight off the pasture this morning. So grass-fed, brangus cow.
All hamburger except the brisket and gunna try a few steaks.
When they look really good, they also taste really good.
I'd recommend trying 3/4" inch steaks and marinating the heck out of 'em to tenderize and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I can't believe you found an open processor
Got extremely lucky. They opened up a brand new one earlier this year called The Butcher Block in Canute, Ok, near Elk City, west on i40 about a 1 hour 15 minute drive for me. People seemed to hav slowed down as their waiting period is about a month. Everyone else is still about a year out.
I'd recommend trying 3/4" inch steaks and marinating the heck out of 'em to tenderize and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Called the processor and hanging weight was 592 lbs. Not huge but itll fill the freezer. Im getting the steaks at 1/2", they can even make some chicken fry for me but mainly just want the hamburger.

I took another cull cow (starved her calf, no milk, didnt catch it in time) a couple months ago. Sold to a couple friends. They were pleased with cuts & how much they got etc. She yielded about 664 lbs.
Snapchat-175964560.jpg

how did u discover the hardwire before she lost weight? Be good to know obviously lol
She didn't lose much weight, but had the swollen brisket, trouble breathing, laying down with her head extended, drooling. This was before I started giving magnets to every cow, bull & retained heifer. Learned my lesson the hard way.

She didn't lose much weight, but had the swollen brisket, trouble breathing, laying down with her head extended, drooling. This was before I started giving magnets to every cow, bull & retained heifer. Learned my lesson the hard way.
Thats a pretty good catch. People i know wait til they start losing weight before they start wondering, and even then.

Late update lol:
I got the steaks a half inch but they are a tad thin. As u said, 3/4" would hav been perfect. Steaks are tender without marinating. Very pleased with the meat. Cow would have been a dandy to keep around as her calf weighed the heaviest at 765 lbs past week and i took her in august. When i talked to the butcher, she wasn't even bred either.
1106211324a.jpgScreenshots_2021-11-06-13-21-30.pngScreenshots_2021-11-06-13-21-16.pngScreenshots_2021-11-06-13-22-43.png

Do you just put the magnet down their throat? I've had 2 that I suspect got some metal in their gu

I really like the idea. We have metal bits here and ther too as i suspect everyone does. I may adopt your protocol.

Do you just put the magnet down their throat? I've had 2 that I suspect got some metal in their gu

I really like the idea. We have metal bits here and ther too as i suspect everyone does. I may adopt your protocol.
This is a pic of a magnet, post mortem (not my cow). Well worth spending a couple bucks per cow, bull & retained heifer, IMO. I use a balling gun to administer.Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 9.45.53 PM.png

This is a pic of a magnet, post mortem (not my cow). Well worth spending a couple bucks per cow, bull & retained heifer, IMO. I use a balling gun to administer.View attachment 10245
I heard there's some breeds and crosses that can survive on briar patches and barbed wired and maintain condition. I always thought they were slightly exaggerating...😂😂

Latest posts