Cow Stuck

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I posted a couple weeks ago about one of my cows losing weight. Someone asked if she had rebred, so I decided to check her yesterday. I moved her into the the corral where my alley and headgate are located. I eased her into the alley and off she ran like a scalded a$$ ape. She hit the head gate and it was only partially open and she almost cleared it but stuck right at her hook bones. This jammed the gate and it would not open any wider. Of course she is not just standing there she is trying to get out. I finally calmed her down with some cubes, but cannot get her to try and backup, and cannot get her clear. I struggled for about an hour,even put her calf in the area with her. Called the vet and he said come by and he would draw up a sedative to help her relax. He gave me two syringes and said to give one now and one about one hour later. I gave her one, checked her every ten minutes and about thirty to forty minutes into it I noticed she started to quiver in the rear legs, and sure enough down she goes. Thankfully I only gave her one shot of the sedative. Now I am totally screwed. I take my torch to the gate and with a little cutting, I finally freed her. Of course she is still down and eyes rolled back and labor breathing. I wait an hour and still down and unresponsive.
so I call the vet and he said that she is probably in shock. As a last ditch effort I gave her some epinepherine from a vial I keep at the farm. Luckily she responded and CRAWLED out of the gate. Two hours later she is up but very agitated. I dump a buch of hay and cubes to her and she eats a little. She appears fine, scraped up and skinned knees but walking normally. Now I get to try and reweld the gate. Aint raising cows fun!.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. :yuck: Glad you got her out.

I've been in one of those wrecks before myself Papa.....just glad you had the epinephrine on hand. Everyone giving injections should always keep a bottle handy. Cheap and good insurance.

TB, I had the Epi on hand in case of anaphylactic shock due to bug or snake bite for my grandkids. i was not sure of the dosage for a cow but figured it as the same ratio for an adult.

MWJ, no I did not sleeve her at that time. I was just glad to get her the heck out of there. She is sale barn bound after weaning her calf.

Caustic Burno":22ld3vm1 said:
dun":22ld3vm1 said:
And THAT is exactly why I hate the swinging type of headgate.

That is why I don't have one. Been down that road and got that T shirt.

I have had a few stockers caught behind the ribs but we just processed them and opened it--are you jamming it shut somehow?

That's what I was trying to figure out Steve . Guess I haven't seen a actuall swinging style . Ours have either guillotine or self catch . The self catch will open either way .

"There is absolutely no excuse to let a cow get stuck in the headgate that way."

That was what I had time to tell myself a couple of hundred times last month when I was taking out bolts and taking about my headgate apart in order to get a cow out that I let get caught exactly the same way.

I had one of those old rachet style swinging gate's, that thing could get fowled up 19 ways to Sunday.
I completely rebuilt my chute because of that thing and now one man is all it takes.

Thats a extreme reaction to the sedative, lucky you called the vet and had epinephrine on hand