Cow standing wide with legs stretched out

Help Support CattleToday:

JBFarms

Reaction score
We bought this cow from the sale barn a week ago. She is suppose to be 8 months bred but doesn't quite look it. She has been eating hay and drinking water well. Doesn't care for feed or cattle cubes though. Keeping her in large stall with run but mostly lays down and only stands up to eat. When she stands she has a very wide stance with her back legs stretched out behind her and her front legs slightly stretched in front of her. No other visible issues. Otherwise seems healthy. Haven't contacted vet yet but will do so soon to get his opinion. In the mean time, any ideas on what might be going on with her?
Brown_cow_smaller.jpg

Does she always stand like that? Was she like that when you bought her? If its just every once in a while that would not concern me. Does she walk out normally? B&G

She always stands like that. Haven't turned her out with the rest of the herd yet--waiting to figure out what is going on before I do. So I haven't seen her walk much but I think she walks okay. Didn't notice it when they ran her through the sale ring. I've only had her for about two weeks now.

jerry27150":qo6vxdu7 said:
... if she is not right they should stand behind her
That would certainly be safer than standing beside her - she looks like she could topple over!
From my recent reading on laminitis, they're more likely to stand with their feet gathered in underneath than in that strange posture.

We bought a really super long bull. When he was young, he stood square and was straight backed. After a few more months, he started dropping his back and he would stand with his legs stretched out like a saddle horse anytime he stood at rest. His back really dipped when he did this, but he could walk with it straighter.

One day we went to the farm and he was down, and could not get up. He lost the use of his hind quarters, but would pull himself around the lot by his front legs to graze a little, eat and drink water. We were told that he most likely had a pinched nerve in his back, and with his will to live being so strong, we let him go several days to see if he would get better. But he did not.

He was a B/R Destination bull, and we never got a calf from him. We were sick, as he was quite young. Afterwards, I wondered if he was suffering from back trouble, and when I see a bull standing with his legs stretched out, I am leery.

I spoke to the vet and he said there's probably not much they could do in terms of examining her (maybe xray but not really worth it). He suspects it might be an injury and suggested keeping her confined and giving her time. So that's what I'm doing. Wait and see if she is going to drop a calf in the next few weeks and maybe it will resolve itself. I hope!

You mentioned she lays a lot. I'll bet something is hurting her and when she stands. that position is the least painful. When she gets up does she struggle to do so? I can't believe the pain is calf related. ???

She has an awfully big udder to be dry, and due in 4 weeks. Something does not sound right. By her behavior, I would agree with Black and Gold, she has something hurting her, likely feet. When we had horses founder, that is exactly what they did; stretch out as far as they could to get the weight off the cannon bone in the hoof in the front. When she walks, does she walk like her feet are sore?
I bet she does not get better... sounds like someone dumped her at the sale barn for a reason.

Update--She had a healthy heifer calf but is still standing like this. Not knowing what is causing this or if she will ever get better, I think we are going to sell them as a pair.

Great that she had a healthy calf! Could it be a mineral deficiency of some sort?? I would think with a back injury, she wouldn't have been able to push that calf out.........

One thought is hardware disease - wire or nail or something in the forestomach. Which can be made worse in late pregnancy as the fetus pushes everything forward. And calving really puts pressure on things and can make it worse. They normally stand with arched back, though.

Another thought is if had lung issues like an old case of pneumonia with scarring, stretching out might make breathing easier.

djinwa":iths23fp said:
One thought is hardware disease - wire or nail or something in the forestomach. Which can be made worse in late pregnancy as the fetus pushes everything forward. And calving really puts pressure on things and can make it worse. They normally stand with arched back, though.

Another thought is if had lung issues like an old case of pneumonia with scarring, stretching out might make breathing easier.
I agree, "Hardware" is a possibility! Can you put a magnet in her?

I have one exactly like that. Injury related. Front legs not so much. But back will be extended a lot. Not sure if for comfort or injury. She seems to have a spacial displasia when she walks. Causes abnormal hoof growth on backs. Have to be trimmed every so often. She was daughters 4H heifer. Great cow. But embryo'd Dec2012 and other herd cow left in Sept2012. Other cow came back to herd when she was out being embryo'd. When reunited it was battle royale and injury happened then. Embryo took. Go figure.

Kingfisher":2f2739h5 said:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/texas-am-vets-give-calf-a-spring-in-its-step/nc7yt/
There's one comment below the article and it's pretty crappy. Evidently the Statesman doesn't know what it means.

Latest posts