Cow standing ? Who to use ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I am
Well you still have one straw left to use on your Power Play x Saugahatchee heifer So I guess it worked out fine.
It doesn't improve anything while it's in the tank ;)
I am going to use the last C Plus in a flush the last straw to the heifer and a real good Discovery Cow aaa# 18831945.

While on the subject of my favorite cow. Here is a pic of her Treasure calf that I sold ( now a bull). The guy that bought him loves him.D1A8D4A7-5B32-42D5-9F3A-7D3391B9BCFE.jpeg63937B9E-EB30-4608-A6D4-7BE0FAAF4458.jpeg1EE28180-3D17-40FC-8E09-FBA64FDD17AF.jpeg

I'll get some.

Ken
Here are a couple of Ashlands. He does add a bit of length to the legs. This first one is out of a Renown cow.
2nd one the heifer is out of a 1st calf heifer by Musgrave Apache, born early July and she still has another 3.5months on her mother. I think she may be taller than her mother at weaning. 1 month ago she weighed 202kg (445 lb)
3rd one is out of a GAR Prophet cow. P1020606.JPGP1020617.JPG
P1020600.JPG

Here are a couple of Ashlands. He does add a bit of length to the legs. This first one is out of a Renown cow.
2nd one the heifer is out of a 1st calf heifer by Musgrave Apache, born early July and she still has another 3.5months on her mother. I think she may be taller than her mother at weaning. 1 month ago she weighed 202kg (445 lb)
3rd one is out of a GAR Prophet cow. View attachment 10999View attachment 11000
View attachment 10997
Would you consider Ashland a heifer bull ? I think Ashland calves look better than Hometowns so far.

I had two heifers calve to him, both had heifers, 38 &40 kg. (40=88lb.) no problems. Older cows with bull calves, 42 & 44kg. I have used him on heifers again.

Ken

I should have used a blank !! C Plus didn't stick. She was standing this evening when I got home. It's been 20 days since we AI'd her. FML

Thinking back. We have tried 5 times , 4 different highly skilled AI tech to breed this cow when she was showing heat. All 5 time she didn't take when showing natural heat. She has only taken when synced. I also noticed she was really fighting with another cow after we ai'd her for a couple weeks. I wonder if the fighting caused it not to stick ?

Thinking back. We have tried 5 times , 4 different highly skilled AI tech to breed this cow when she was showing heat. All 5 time she didn't take when showing natural heat. She has only taken when synced. I also noticed she was really fighting with another cow after we ai'd her for a couple weeks. I wonder if the fighting caused it not to stick ?
Is the cow fat? Sometimes hard to settle a cow that is fat. Generally do better at BCS of 5 or 6 with a slightly increasing level of nutrition for a few weeks before and after breeding. A decreasing level of nutrition can make them harder to settle.

Wonder if a shot of GNRH at time of breeding would help. Protocol for timed AI is to give GNRH at breeding. I use CIDR's to synch, heat check and breed on observed heat. Even on observed heat, I still give the GNRH. I don't know if it is beneficial or not but have had good results doing that. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Why not synch her with a CIDR and drugs if she has only bred that way in the past? When she was synched in the past, was she bred based on observed heat or just timed AI?

Favorite cow, yet hard to get settled. Frustrating, I am sure. Fighting with the other cow after breeding - maybe there are some hormonal issues. Or maybe she is just a bossy girl.

Is the cow fat? Sometimes hard to settle a cow that is fat. Generally do better at BCS of 5 or 6 with a slightly increasing level of nutrition for a few weeks before and after breeding. A decreasing level of nutrition can make them harder to settle.

Wonder if a shot of GNRH at time of breeding would help. Protocol for timed AI is to give GNRH at breeding. I use CIDR's to synch, heat check and breed on observed heat. Even on observed heat, I still give the GNRH. I don't know if it is beneficial or not but have had good results doing that. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Why not synch her with a CIDR and drugs if she has only bred that way in the past? When she was synched in the past, was she bred based on observed heat or just timed AI?

Favorite cow, yet hard to get settled. Frustrating, I am sure. Fighting with the other cow after breeding - maybe there are some hormonal issues. Or maybe she is just a bossy girl.
She is about a 5-6 , I am only giving hay no grain , decent flesh no bones showing. She has never settled on observed heat, only settled when synced 2 calves and she is 3 years old

Wonder if a shot of GNRH at time of breeding would help. Protocol for timed AI is to give GNRH at breeding.
20 years ago I used GnRH when A.I. breeding Holstein cows on observed natural heats, that had repeated from previous A.I. service, to help ensure the egg was releasing in a timely manner.

20 years ago I used GnRH when A.I. breeding Holstein cows on observed natural heats, that had repeated from previous A.I. service, to help ensure the egg was releasing in a timely manner.
We did give her a shot of GNRH . Anyone think she is possibly bred ? It was a $600 straw fml

Last edited:

Latest posts