Cow slobbering ....tongue problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

Midtenn

Reaction score
Noticed this cow staying to herself this morning. She was slobbering and kept extending her neck like they do sometimes when they eat hedge apples . She was around some bodock trees so I just shrugged it off. But went back before dark and she was still staying by her self but she came up to feed. She has an appetite but drops most of her feed (pellets). She's only 3 year old. Im thinking she ate a prickly pear / fire ants/ bee sting/ etc, something to that effect. But I thought I'd show this picture of her tongue it looks like ulcers on it. Any ideas? Treatment? Thanks in advance

Probably wooden or woody tongue. Those are almost classic signs. Give me a minute. I will find a reference.

UCD VET VIEWS
CALIFORNIA CATTLEMEN'S MAGAZINE
JUNE 2009
WOODY TONGUE: Recognition, Treatment, and Prevention
Many cattle producers have seen cattle with this problem over the years and are
familiar with the disease. It usually occurs sporadically and rarely occurs as an outbreak
in cattle. It is a relatively easy problem to treat successfully; however, if mis-diagnosed
or treated inappropriately it can turn into a much more difficult situation.
What causes Woody Tongue?
The cause of Woody Tongue (also called Actinobacillosis or Wooden Tongue) is
a bacterium named Actinobacillus lignieresii. This is a common species of bacteria
found in the mouth and rumen of cattle and sheep. Ruminants of any age may become
infected although it is more common in animals over one year of age. When cattle eat
coarse feed or plants with sharp stickers these may puncture the tongue or other soft
tissues in the mouth. These small puncture wounds may deposit the Actinobacillus
organism in the soft tissue of the tongue where it sets up an infection. The infection in
the tongue is usually in the form of firm abscesses (nodules) and the tongue may become
nodular in appearance or feel lumpy when palpated. The disease is probably more
common than we think, as the prevalence of Woody Tongue in cattle at slaughter ranges
from 0.7% to 3.6%. Therefore, it is likely some cattle have problems we don't notice or
recognize.
How do I recognize Woody Tongue?
When the tongue becomes infected with the nodular lesions the animal encounters
a number of problems that are noticeable. The tongue is painful and swollen causing the
animal to be unable to pick up food with its tongue. Therefore, they tend not to eat or are
observed to have difficulty eating or swallowing. There is excess salivation (drooling)
commonly noticed. The tongue may be swollen enough that it protrudes from the mouth.
The area below the jaws is often enlarged and firm. On examination, the tongue is very
hard and painful. Also, at the base of the tongue there is often an ulcer filled with plant
awns or stems. Because cattle use their tongue to prehend food, the affected cattle often
stop eating (due to the pain) and lose weight.
What other disease problems could look like Woody Tongue?
Any condition that causes pain or swelling in the mouth could be confused with
Woody Tongue. Therefore, trauma to the back of the throat, foreign bodies in the mouth,
damage to teeth, or a common jaw infection (lumpy jaw or actinomycosis) can be
confused with Woody Tongue. Because excess salivation is common in Woody Tongue,
diseases such as rabies also have to be considered. Because the mouth will be examined
the possibility of rabies transmission must be remembered and if the animal subsequently
dies, a complete post mortem examination, including rabies examination should be done.

Bright Raven":2ndn84yw said:
You need to get that treated. Call your vet and find out what antibiotics he wants you to use.

Will do first thing in the am. Thanks

Midtenn":27msvcx2 said:
Bright Raven":27msvcx2 said:
You need to get that treated. Call your vet and find out what antibiotics he wants you to use.

Will do first thing in the am. Thanks

Glad to help. A lady on our cattle board just had a cow with it.

I tend to think she has been licking something caustic, you are right, there are ulcers there and I think in a day or two much more of that mucous membrane will lift leaving large raw areas until they heal over. As long as she is away from the source now and if the larynx is not too badly burnt as well the membrane should heal over fairly quickly although she will be in some discomfort for a few days. Have you painted anything with creosote lately?

Ken

I've not seen any reports of a major EHD outbreak here in the Southeast this year, but EHD would also warrant consideration.
https://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/resear ... ic-disease

Cattle:
Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease in cattle is characterized by fever, anorexia, and difficulty swallowing. The swallowing disorders are caused by damage to the striated muscles of the pharynx, larynx, esophagus and tongue, and may lead to dehydration, emaciation, and aspiration pneumonia. Edema, hemorrhages, erosions, and ulcerations may be seen in the mouth, on the lips, and around the coronets. The animals may be stiff and lame, and the skin may be thickened and edematous. Abortions and stillbirths have also been reported in some epidemics. Most EHDV infections in cattle appear to be subclinical. Typical symptoms include fever, oral ulcers, salivation, lameness associated with coronitis, and weight loss. In pregnant cows, the fetus may be resorbed or develop hydranencephaly if it is infected between 70 and 120 days of gestation. Deaths are uncommon with the North American strains of EHDV; however, some animals may be lame and unthrifty for a prolonged period. Epizootic hemorrhagic disease has not been reproduced in experimentally infected cattle; although animals become viremic, they remain asymptomatic.

wbvs58":31j8uo9q said:
I tend to think she has been licking something caustic, you are right, there are ulcers there and I think in a day or two much more of that mucous membrane will lift leaving large raw areas until they heal over. As long as she is away from the source now and if the larynx is not too badly burnt as well the membrane should heal over fairly quickly although she will be in some discomfort for a few days. Have you painted anything with creosote lately?

Ken

I agree I think it's something she licked or ate. But it has to be natural (plant, soil, or animal). The pasture she's in has no barns, equipment,nothing. No creosote. No human activivity such as fencing or anything in the last 3 years. Other than bush hog and spray but haven't sprayed in 3 months. Vet agrees. Not woody tongue and nothing in throat.

Not woody tongue. Ulcers are only on the end of the tongue and there is no hardness. After vet examination still do not have a solid diagnosis. Treated with antibiotic and bantamene. I tend to think some kind do wild plant has burned or irritated it.

Midtenn":1tcdhcuo said:
Not woody tongue. Ulcers are only on the end of the tongue and there is no hardness. After vet examination still do not have a solid diagnosis. Treated with antibiotic and bantamene. I tend to think some kind do wild plant has burned or irritated it.

Thanks for the update. I think the antibiotics are a good idea.

Nesikep":31rf2pjg said:
poison ivy?

I guess that's possible. We have poison oak everywhere though and I've never heard of it being a problem. But I guess she could be just a really stupid cow LOL.

Midtenn":1piff544 said:
Glad you got it checked & hopefully she's on the mend! I did have one cow that was treated for the early stage of woody tongue, ulcer on the far back of her tongue, but turns out she had hardware. Only other woody tongue was successfully treated with sodium iodide & did not have ulcers. It's a crap shoot! Just my 2 cents but if yours is possibly a case of a wild plant(s) I'd keep an eye on your other cows. Good luck!

Latest posts