Cow Size

Help Support CattleToday:

MountainFarmChar

Reaction score
What size cows do you prefer and why?

Someone mentioned on another post that they have 900lb cows. This seems kinda small for my taste but I'm sure there are some pros to having this size cows.

Most all my cows will weigh 1200-1400lb, I've had larger and smaller but I'm most pleased with what I have now.

Sunny roads,
MFC

My cows are moderate framed-1100 on the light end and probably close to 1500 on the heavy end.
The reason that I like moderate framed cattle is because they thrive on my forage based operation.
Plus there seems to be very strong demand for those type of genetics from folks who are interested in grass/forage based production.

All my cows are 1200 to 1400 lbs also. I just like a big stand up cow. Alot of folks say you can feed 2 little cows for what one big cow eats. Maybe so but, but it dont take no more feed to feed a good cow than it does to feed a sorry one.

Ours run 1200-1600 most inthe 1300-1500 range FS 6 and a bit but less then 6.5. I just happen to like wide deep cows that aren;t too tall

1200 lbs is about right for me. Some are smaller some are bigger.

My reference to 900 lb cows was the angus cows of the 60's. I think the angus folks call those "low lines" now.

My guess is most people would be surprised if they really weighed there cows. It does not take much of a cow to weigh in excess of 1200 pounds.

My best cows are FS 5.5-6.0 and weigh 1500-1600 pounds now, 60-75 prior to calving.

I could have cows a little lighter, however my bull customers like to see high volume cows.

Our cows weighed right at 1250 for an average this fall. They ranged from 831(small heifer) to 1545(has a ticket to the bred cow sale).

We're about 1200 - 1800. (we had on really HUGE cow and kept a couple of her daughters - those are the 17/18s) Most around 1300 - 1600

does it make any sense to have smaller cows to get more productivity out of land. ex - 900-1000 lb cows. seems like u could run more cattle on the same land than 1500 lb cows.

I raise longhorns and my average cow weight is probably around 900-1000lbs.

Some benefits in my case:
-Don't have to feed so much hay during winter. (1 bale to every 3 that the beefmaster/hereford/limo herd gets, and same # of head)

-They graze a pasture year-round, whereas the fatties need to be moved every few weeks or so. I believe the longhorns are probably around 50% more efficient in food/energy needs than the average 1200-1600lb cow.

-I like lean beef.

They work for me!

TxStateCowboy":2ehyfvoa said:

-Don't have to feed so much hay during winter. (1 bale to every 3 that the beefmaster/hereford/limo herd gets, and same # of head)

-They graze a pasture year-round, whereas the fatties need to be moved every few weeks or so. I believe the longhorns are probably around 50% more efficient in food/energy needs than the average 1200-1600lb cow.

-I like lean beef.

They work for me!

If you could get you long horns up to 1200 to 1600lbs I dont think your numbers would look so great. If I remeber horns are still hard to eat. At least their calves are small. I dont see much use for long horns out side of wall hangers and yard orniments. :p Just kidding, it just came out easy. Most evey breed has ups and downs; you just have to talk to the write or wrong person. Let me ask you a question though. A contractor is doing some concrete at my parents place. Not to far from my bull pen. He brags up and down about his long horns. He's got the market because no one raises them around here. He looks at my bulls and says "do you cut their sacks when they hang like that". I thought he was joking; he says "If my bulls have baggy sacks we cut'em. Long horns aren't supposed to have baggy sacks." All I could think is he's crazy; and he must not have too many bulls. He still has to finish the job so I don't talk to him to much. Well is he crazy?

oscar p":1hnmromk said:
All my cows are 1200 to 1400 lbs also. I just like a big stand up cow. Alot of folks say you can feed 2 little cows for what one big cow eats. Maybe so but, but it dont take no more feed to feed a good cow than it does to feed a sorry one.
Are you trying to say just because she's little she's not any good?

TB-Herefords":1ju81bcj said:
TxStateCowboy":1ju81bcj said:

-I like lean beef.

They work for me!

If you could get you long horns up to 1200 to 1600lbs I dont think your numbers would look so great. If I remeber horns are still hard to eat. At least their calves are small. I dont see much use for long horns out side of wall hangers and yard orniments. :p Just kidding, it just came out easy. Most evey breed has ups and downs; you just have to talk to the write or wrong person. Let me ask you a question though. A contractor is doing some concrete at my parents place. Not to far from my bull pen. He brags up and down about his long horns. He's got the market because no one raises them around here. He looks at my bulls and says "do you cut their sacks when they hang like that". I thought he was joking; he says "If my bulls have baggy sacks we cut'em. Long horns aren't supposed to have baggy sacks." All I could think is he's crazy; and he must not have too many bulls. He still has to finish the job so I don't talk to him to much. Well is he crazy?
He is probably NOT certified crazy - but certainly unbelievably uninformed about pragmatic and profitable cow size being optimal at an average of 1250 lbs. That is not just a theory. It is a long time proven fact by many, many producers and MARC, so argument is superfluous, futile, and pointless. Old wives tales will be with us as long as there are old wives - but - facts are facts - not somebody's pipe dream! Repeat after me - LIGHTER WEIGHT MOMMA COWS (1250# AVERAGE) ARE LESS EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN THAN HEAVIER WEIGHT MAMMA COWS ( 1600+ #'s)! Can you say "High grain and supplement costs minimize PROFITS!??" Cows are designed to mature, produce a calf at 24 months, and each year after that, with minimal forage, costs, and effort in order for the owner to realize a profit! The bigger the cow - the more expenses are experienced and the less profit is realized!

Discussion closed.

DOC HARRIS

jvicars":209k54bv said:
does it make any sense to have smaller cows to get more productivity out of land. ex - 900-1000 lb cows. seems like u could run more cattle on the same land than 1500 lb cows.

in short yes, but you still need to avoid extremes in either direction. I personally think there is very little to gain by going below 1000 lbs.

To make the area of land more "productive" you need to wean more lbs of calf with more smaller cows than you would have done with fewer bigger cows on the same peice of land. If your smaller cows can't do that then you gain nothing as far as efficiency or productivity goes.

I wonder if the added cost of equipment like feeders and waterers plus the cost of more vaccines/wormers are figured in on the profitabliity of the smaller cows vs larger cows equation. More cows regardless of size requires additional infrastructure. I sometimes think that way too much emphasis is put on weight. Is a skinny 1000 lb cow that should weigh 1300 better then a fat 1600 lb cow that should weigh 1300.
I personally am unwilling to breed out depth and thickness just to reach the supposed ideal weight of 1250.

dun":1lnr4xpc said:
I wonder if the added cost of equipment like feeders and waterers plus the cost of more vaccines/wormers are figured in on the profitabliity of the smaller cows vs larger cows equation. More cows regardless of size requires additional infrastructure. I sometimes think that way too much emphasis is put on weight. Is a skinny 1000 lb cow that should weigh 1300 better then a fat 1600 lb cow that should weigh 1300.
I personally am unwilling to breed out depth and thickness just to reach the supposed ideal weight of 1250.

That is why there isn't a simple answer to this. The type will always be the major roleplayer. I want frame 5 cows with all the depth and thickness you are talking about. In my conditions a cow like that will weigh 1250 - 1400 lbs when in decent condition.

I have seen herds where the average weight is about 950-1050 lbs that is extremely efficient when managed correctly, but it requires very good forage and breeding management. Judging by what I see at the salebarn very few cattle owners have the know-how or desire to do that.

To simply say you need small framed cattle for a grass based operation isn't the whole truth.

My mid-summer weights on my MATURE cows (3+) is 1535# nursing calves.
I also want my cows as wide & deep as possible, and unless they are a frame 1, I can't see how you could have volume & muscle & only weigh 1000#.
OPTIMAL size/weight, depends on you LOCATION. NY grows grass, lots of grass. It is a waste of land to run a small frame cow. (this statement is based on Cornell research farm)
Also, like Dun pointed out, maybe your cattle weigh 1000#, but SHOULD they weigh 1250# if in good BCS?? or more?
My cattle aren't fat, by any means, but they range between 5-6 during summer.
We used to have ton cows, because that's what our market demanded for calves. I much prefer the more moderate size that we are running now. And, yes, my cattle are considered MODERATE sized. Most cows will run between 5.5 to 6.5.
Heck, Macho is only 5.6 frame.

Without a feed efficiency test of some type on individual animals of what ever breed, frame size or weight, isn,t it pretty much speculation? As a general rull certain things may be true but do not hold up on the individuals. How could a frame score 6 at 1600 lbs. be any more efficient than a frame score 9 with the same weight? Just because it is a longhorn does not make it more efficient. Does a 1500 lb. longhorn have the same efficiency as a 900 lb. longhorn?
Way to much is being taken for granted as to breed, frame score, weight, etc. I do not understand where anything can be assumed as to carcass quality or efficiency without testing the individual.