Cow Size Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you SURE you BCSed them accurately??? You said you adjusted #39 down by 75 lbs so you scored her at a 6??? Just judging from that pic I don't think I would have gone near that high. #77 is a main battle tank kind of cow. I love that super easy fleshing ability she has. I would like to see that on a small framed cow. #77 is easily a six (7??). She looks at least one condition score more than #39.

Brandonm22":3rlxetrd said:
Are you SURE you BCSed them accurately??? You said you adjusted #39 down by 75 lbs so you scored her at a 6??? Just judging from that pic I don't think I would have gone near that high. #77 is a main battle tank kind of cow. I love that super easy fleshing ability she has. I would like to see that on a small framed cow. #77 is easily a six (7??). She looks at least one condition score more than #39.

Looking at the brisket fill and fat creases behind the neck and shoulder on both animals, they look pretty similar BCS to me. I don't think 77 is much over a mid-6 BCS. Certainly not a 7, otherwise I've been calling BCS 8 cows BCS 7 all my life. The worst I could do for 39 would be call her a low 6.

SR, what's the age difference in these cows?

JRGidaho`":3jw2dkew said:
Brandonm22":3jw2dkew said:

Looking at the brisket fill and fat creases behind the neck and shoulder on both animals, they look pretty similar BCS to me. I don't think 77 is much over a mid-6 BCS. Certainly not a 7, otherwise I've been calling BCS 8 cows BCS 7 all my life. The worst I could do for 39 would be call her a low 6.

SR, what's the age difference in these cows?

On age, I just weaned the second calf from both so they are both coming 4 years old.

On BCS, the weights I listed were at weaning about 3 weeks ago. 77 especially has slimmed a bit from what she was then. I am looking at her weight history and even though she was at 1745 at weaning a couple a weeks ago it looks like her base BCS 5 weight is about 1650.

From the Texas A&M website they made a big point of BCS 6 being the first category where you can see no ribs. I've been using that as a benchmark. If I see any hint of ribs they are a 5. If the ribs are really covered smooth and a little tail head fat they are a 7 at least in my beginners mind.

I have no idea why my cows were heavier at weaning this year, usually they are lighter with big calves pulling them down. I think the grazing was so good this fall that the calves took more nutrition from grazing than usual. I think they look better now that they are not quite as fat as they were last month.

I'll post a couple pictures from yesterday under a different heading. This thread is getting about worn out.

Jim

rockridgecattle":3hqoubui said:
... some advice our vet gave us last fall when we worked our herd.
1. problem cows. Included cows with medical, genetic and disposition problems we shipped both the cow and calf at this time (august)
2. cows on the aged list, the older ones who might not make a it through the rough year, this was done at weaning
3. then the vet came in and preg checked the cows. OUr thought was anything open was going on the truck

As it happened, our best cow was being preg checked. She was heavy, summered well on poor pasture, had a decent bag etc. The vet took one look at her and asked what her calf was like. I said mid range, nothing to stop the presses. Her words were..."SHIP HER" NOW! Now that was a stunner. So me in my stuper asked why. Here was her answer paraphrased:

If she is not bringing in the best calf at her weight and shape, she is not a good converter of food or pounds in relation to her calf. In effect she is putting the weight into herself and not into what she should be doing, pounds in her calf, effectively paying for herself. So you are feeding an unproductive cow getting a mid weight calf, loosing money in the feed she eats....
We shipped her...... i think alot has to do with getting rid of the free loaders. When i say free loaders i mean the ones who have a calf but are not putting the energy into the calf but themselvesmake sense?

I know this is an old thread but being new to the site I just spent the evening reading the whole thread. There is a lot of good discussion. Here is one I thought was dead on.

AudieWyoming":1gf0rfjs said:
rockridgecattle":1gf0rfjs said:
... some advice our vet gave us last fall when we worked our herd.
1. problem cows. Included cows with medical, genetic and disposition problems we shipped both the cow and calf at this time (august)
2. cows on the aged list, the older ones who might not make a it through the rough year, this was done at weaning
3. then the vet came in and preg checked the cows. OUr thought was anything open was going on the truck

As it happened, our best cow was being preg checked. She was heavy, summered well on poor pasture, had a decent bag etc. The vet took one look at her and asked what her calf was like. I said mid range, nothing to stop the presses. Her words were..."SHIP HER" NOW! Now that was a stunner. So me in my stuper asked why. Here was her answer paraphrased:

If she is not bringing in the best calf at her weight and shape, she is not a good converter of food or pounds in relation to her calf. In effect she is putting the weight into herself and not into what she should be doing, pounds in her calf, effectively paying for herself. So you are feeding an unproductive cow getting a mid weight calf, loosing money in the feed she eats....
We shipped her...... i think alot has to do with getting rid of the free loaders. When i say free loaders i mean the ones who have a calf but are not putting the energy into the calf but themselvesmake sense?

I know this is an old thread but being new to the site I just spent the evening reading the whole thread. There is a lot of good discussion. Here is one I thought was dead on.
If a cow can raise a calf equal to the rest of the cattle in the herd while maintaining her own body weight to me that is a good cow. It does not take a lot of forage to maintain good BCS. People seem to forget that sooner or later that cow has to regain the weight lost. That takes a lot of forage. I also question the calf. Is the calf getting so much milk from the cow that it does not hustle for its own forage?

A lot will also have to do with management. Breeding/calving season and pasture management play an important role. With proper management having good available forage in the last 4 months before weaning it is a lot easier to have cattle that come out fit while still raising good gainers. Fit not fat.

Latest posts