Cow should have already calved

Help Support CattleToday:

cajun4212

Reaction score
I have a cow that was AI'd and the 283 day gestation period had her calving on 9/15. I know older cows (she's seven) will sometimes calve a little past the 283 days, but at what point should I be concerned? She's never calved late.

cajun4212":2xckfksw said:
I have a cow that was AI'd and the 283 day gestation period had her calving on 9/15. I know older cows (she's seven) will sometimes calve a little past the 283 days, but at what point should I be concerned? She's never calved late.

Today is 295 days of gestation. The longest I have had is 290. Does she show any signs? Swollen tight udder, loose vulva, discharges from vulva? If not, she did not stick to the AI!

We get a few calves every year past 290 days. the longest gestation we had was 303 days. Look how cow looks, if she's preparing. She definitely should, if she's pregnant.

She definitely took from the AI, we had an ultrasound done. She's starting to bag up, but no vulva swelling or discharge. I may give it a few more days before I call the vet.

Seems like bull calves take longer to cook. I agree with giving her a few more days but after that if she doesn't start springing/showing obvious signs I'd put on a glove and make sure the calf is in position, etc.

2 weeks early or 2 weeks late is still on time. Different breeds have different gestation periods. Angus is 283 and is taken as standard but Hereford and Simmenthal at least to my knowledge are different then that

dun":2pziopzt said:
2 weeks early or 2 weeks late is still on time. Different breeds have different gestation periods. Angus is 283 and is taken as standard but Hereford and Simmenthal at least to my knowledge are different then that

dun, Simmental is 285

Rare but possible, prolonged gestation caused by fetal mummification. I've only seen it twice in 40 years, neither cow was mine. I was afraid one time for one of mine, but she calved with a large healthy bull calf at 300 days.

Mummified calf - fetus dies, but instead of being expelled like most abortions, corpus luteum persists in ovary, so cow does not come in heat and the gestation can persist indefinitely.

IF the cow has only been serviced once with no chance of later preg date, after 305 days I would reach in to check for abnormalities and give her a shot of Lutalsye. The calf/mummified fetus will be expelled within 48 hours. You will want to have her caught to assist calving/expelling the fetus as it may come out whole or in pieces.

cajun4212":16ljwyjz said:
She definitely took from the AI, we had an ultrasound done. She's starting to bag up, but no vulva swelling or discharge. I may give it a few more days before I call the vet.

Any updates? Has she calved?

Had a brangus heifer last year went 298 days with her first calf from AI. Angus bull calf we wound up having to pull. That was even after cutting her feed for the last 3 months.