Cow Shot In Face

Help Support CattleToday:

new cow guy

Reaction score
First off thanks to everyone here. I am a first time poster but a long time viewer. Great information listed here. I have a heavy heart due to one of my cows suffering a malicious shot gun blast to the lower jaw during the middle of the night by a horrible person. The suspects unfortunately are believed to be neighbors but will not admit to it. She did not get out, someone jumped the fence to get to her. She is one of my best cows and I hope she makes it. The local Sheriff is working it. We are giving her penticillan everyday and she is doing well with her calf. I can't imagine what kind of monster would do this, she is the most gentle mom I have and loves to be petted. The blast took place up close and some of the pellets are still embedded in her according to xray and Vet. Does anyone have a good line on camera systems that might reord such behaviors in the future.

sorry to hear about this. our neighbor has lost two horses to this nonsense. you could try one of those webcams that hunters use for deer. only thing is the flash, they'll take the camera if they see that. they might make one that doesn't flash and is not noticeable. people like this do it for the sport i think, why else would they be so cruel to an animal? sure hope you find out who did it.

That is just sick, I hope you caught that blanky blank idiot. :mad: :mad: That just ticks me off how people have no respect for animals these days. There are some people up here that are like that, they never feed or even pay any attention to their poor animals, just leave them for dead. All they want is the pay check that requires no work. Then there are the ones who just do horrible stuff to animals for fun. :mad: :mad:

Had the same thing happen to us this past fall. One calf was shot in the head and died and a few cows had been shot but pulled through. It was a local man who was off his rocker. Hope you dont get much more of it. As for cameras there are suggests here but they may be hard to search for them. Alot of people suggest some motion sensor camera. Only problem id see is it happens at night and you dont want a flash.

CattleHand":1cvgf3zo said:
Had the same thing happen to us this past fall. One calf was shot in the head and died and a few cows had been shot but pulled through. It was a local man who was off his rocker. Hope you dont get much more of it. As for cameras there are suggests here but they may be hard to search for them. Alot of people suggest some motion sensor camera. Only problem id see is it happens at night and you dont want a flash.

I would suggest a Cuddeback Capture IR...it is a good quality camera and does no have a flash "No flash, No dash"...but I've been very impressed with Cuddeback's camera quality

I just purchase a receiver & two outdoor cameras with infra red. SecurityMan through Sportsmansguide, about $120, for my calving barn.
Problem is distance. This is a wireless system & is good for up to 330 feet. The cattle would have to be in a small paddock for the two cameras to cover.

I suppose I would do what has been suggested and get me some sort of Game camera without a flash. You could go closed circuit tv but that would be really expensive.

I agree with K2011 cuddleback makes a good trailcam no flash for 4 and 2 legged vermin.

I'm sorry I have nothing to add about cameras. I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am about your cow, I am just sick thinking of it. I pray that she pulls through and the sick person who did this is caught.

New cow guy,

You don't list where your from. Ofcourse this is horrible, no doubt. hopefully the cow will pull through. Down here in the deep south, someone sneaking through a pasture with a shotgun might well get shot themselves. And not by a shotgun either. Rifles are much more accurate and can reach out and touch someone. I'm not advocating violence; the Sheriff dept I'm sure will handle this.

In the old days (and even now in some places) people would be staked out to catch such a sick person. Hard enough to make a living in the cattle industry, without idiots like this ruining it.

The rage a while back was cow tipping. Well I have Brangus and beefmasters. I dare any person to walk up to a brangus moma at night and try to tip her. :D Now that I'd like to get on a trail camera

I had a problem like this with some teenagers stealing my mailbox , stakeout with some rubber bullets... :mad:

I think I would have to pay that neighbor a visit if I were in your situation :cowboy:

You need a high quality Game Camera that uses Infrared sensor...no flash. Research a bunch of cameras to see the pros and cons. Expect to pay in neighborhood of $250 to $500 for a quality camera with a good "chip" storage module...probably around 1 Gigabite storage. Be sure the camera is camoflaged and not easily seen. If camera is close to your house, get a wireless one with a good range that can also transmit to your computer or other monitor. Also, consider one of the high end "Dakota Alert" wireless alarm monitors...we have two on our place. Very sensitive...even will announce when one of our barn cats goes across the path. Look at the Cabela's or the Forestry Suppliers website for more info. Dakota Alert also has a good website.

new cow guy":5z4aozry said:
First off thanks to everyone here. I am a first time poster but a long time viewer. Great information listed here. I have a heavy heart due to one of my cows suffering a malicious shot gun blast to the lower jaw during the middle of the night by a horrible person. The suspects unfortunately are believed to be neighbors but will not admit to it. She did not get out, someone jumped the fence to get to her. She is one of my best cows and I hope she makes it. The local Sheriff is working it. We are giving her penticillan everyday and she is doing well with her calf. I can't imagine what kind of monster would do this, she is the most gentle mom I have and loves to be petted. The blast took place up close and some of the pellets are still embedded in her according to xray and Vet. Does anyone have a good line on camera systems that might reord such behaviors in the future.
You did the best thing in going to the sheriff. Maybe he will track down the bastards. A while back they caught some guys shooting cattle up here in N.E. Oklahoma.
http://www.texascattleraisers.org/newsd ... 009_02.htm
I wished the two of them would have gotten worse than they did, but thats the way the law works.

Sorry to hear about this. The only problem with a trail camera is your cows will be walking by them all night. Be sure to get that can save a lot of pictures and is easy to erase the pictures on the camera.

terra8186":1d5snbxz said:
Sorry to hear about this. The only problem with a trail camera is your cows will be walking by them all night. Be sure to get that can save a lot of pictures and is easy to erase the pictures on the camera.

That's a disadvantage but I think the biggest draw back is the limited range for the infrared to get a decent picture. You have to know pretty well exactly where they are coming in to get them "captured"

I'm really sorry to hear about your cow. Anybody that would do something like that is just plain sick.
Not trying to promote violence but some guys I know might be able to help you,like,Strumm,Ruger,Smith,and wessen. :mad: :mad:

Cal

First thing is to shut your mouth and don't make any accusations. Forget the camera and start sleeping on the ground. The only way to stop this is your cattle assocation detective or you catch these bums red handed and turn them over to the sheriff.
You can bet whoever did this knows your movements and are brave when you are gone, until they are caught and prosecuted you are at risk to a box of 22 LR or a box of kitchen matches.

I didn't catch where you are from if Texas join the Texas Southwestern Cattlemens Assc. and get your district Ranger in there and they will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

This makes me so mad. :mad: I am not gonna even begin to say how this makes me feel. :mad: When I found out who it was there wouldnt be a big enough hole for him to hide in I tell ya that. :mad:

syork":2rgf0new said:
This makes me so mad. :mad: I am not gonna even begin to say how this makes me feel. :mad: When I found out who it was there wouldnt be a big enough hole for him to hide in I tell ya that. :mad:
I can't believe that anyone would even do such a thing.If i caught a person doing this to my cows,he would be begging for a lengthy stay at the hospital,instead of ending up in the morgue.

Latest posts