disproportionately higher death loss in dark-hided
cattle. Non-shaded lots facing south, southwest, or
west had higher death loss than lots facing east or
southeast. Heavier animals were more susceptible
to heat stress. Lots containing heifers that were fed
MGA had lower death loss ( 3.8% vs. 6.2% ) as
compared to lots with heifers but not receiving
MGA.

My son was in Iowa when this happened wrestling at the Cadet Nationals. He called me one day and said you gotta send me a plane ticket to come home, it's so hot the cows are falling over dead. I thought he was joking until I turned on the news.

A cow's comfort zone runs about 20-25 degrees F. below that of humans, so when we're simply hot a cow is becoming very stressed especially if there is no shade, water, or wind. Spraying with water without air movement to cause evaporation creates even more heat.

In western Oklahoma, heat tolerance is a must. That is one of the reasons I decided to raise Bonsmara. They handle the heat a lot better than I do.

I remember it being really hot around 1978; but I do not remember it being this hot so early in the year. Every day it is 100+ degrees in the afternoon and 80+ degrees in the mornings. This morning was the exception in that we were in the mid-sixties. The pastures are torched and people are liquidating due to the heat and lack of pasture.

Rain dances are all about timing.......

Same down here Mr. Bonsman and no real relief in sight. Glad I sold out when I did. Walking out of the house lately has been like opening an oven door.

TexasBred":3h2ghvo6 said:
Same down here Mr. Bonsman and no real relief in sight. Glad I sold out when I did. Walking out of the house lately has been like opening an oven door.

TB, I do not mind sweating; but working up a sweat at six a.m. while walking to my pickup is a bit much. I need the shade!

I put most of my cows on a quarter that has a lot of bermuda grass and has not had any cattle on it for a year or so. It is behind a large lake with a lot of submoisture for the grass.

Latest posts