cow scratching posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
What I have done in the past to give cows a place to rub, other than the hydraulic controls of the tractor and the mirrors of my truck, is to weld an old coil spring from a car to a 6x6 piece of 1/4 or 3/8th plate, drill a hole in each corner, and lag bolt it to a stump or a tree... about 2 1/2 feet off the ground seems good, maybe another one about 4 feet up would be appreciated, that way they can get the spots under the neck and above the ears nicely... Just watched the automated brush in the How it's made - Milk video and remembered this

cost is next to nothing for it assuming you have an old import car (this was from a tercel 4x4 wagon)

Just last week I noticed some scratching posts for goats that I thought was pretty smart and I imagine cows would enjoy them as well. What this guy did was to mount those large brushes from a street-sweeper on some posts set out in the field. He had multiple paddocks and each had a brush in it. Judging from the tightness of his woven fences his goats must like it better than the fence. I thought it was pretty smart but I don't know where you get your hands on those brushes.

My cows must lead a deprived existence. All the have to scratch on are trees, nothing fancy that I built for them.

Best one I have found yet is my truck.
I have Supercows they can bend steel with their bare heads.
The mirrors are great for reaching those hard to reach places like behind the ears.

Jogeephus":2aw609lh said:
Judging from the tightness of his woven fences his goats must like it better than the fence.

I didn't know that you could have a tight fence if you owned goats... :lol:

I have 2 home made scratches that are both mounted to the back of my mineral sled.

One is a 5 coil springs. 3 are vertical then one at a 45% and then one horizontal. It's welded to a 2x4 on the inside and a 2x2 on the back side. The improved "nesikep scratchier".

The other one is 2 heavy duty shop brooms (have tried brushes). One is vertical and the other one gets cut in 1/2 for the 45% and the horizontal part. Still needs work finding the right type of brushes that last longer.

novatech":1dfohe7e said:
Best one I have found yet is my truck.
I have Supercows they can bend steel with their bare heads.
The mirrors are great for reaching those hard to reach places like behind the ears.

our cows must be related, and that's the reason I mad the scratcher... our cows have done rubbed off all the lower branches of any trees around, so this is a nice genetic modification to the tree for them, though I guess you can also just tell them, "you broke the branches off, now live with it!"

I have seen the streetsweeper brushes for cattle before, but I don't know where to get them either

But if a cow is happy then they will hopefully eat more. I have seen chunks of wood hanging out of trees by a chain to old logging chains hanging around different places calling them cattle scratchier. I know there more important in dairy the beef operations.

I started looking into some type of scratchier when they were using the water and mineral sleds as a scratchier. I just kept watching for where they were going after and made the one out of springs. I made the brush one to help with there winter coats. I don't see much damage to the sleds once I made there scratchier so it's worth it to me.

This reminds me, I need to get bigger or smaller tires on the old Chevy. Seems the space currently between the rear tire and fender well is perfect for cows to get their head hung. They push their head in and when the fender drops behind their skull, they can't get back out. They stay there until I jack the truck up enough for them to get their head out. Or...maybe I should rub some peanut butter on the frame and use it as a head gate. :roll:

time to take the bottle of vaccine with you... though they might do a good number to your fender

Was looking for a picture to post, but can't find it.. grrr

Jogeephus":2pfv38rn said:
dun":2pfv38rn said:
Angus Cowman":2pfv38rn said:
mine to Dun
I thought that was what they were supposed to use

Must be an Ozark thing

Ya'll ain't fooling nobody! We all know that ya'll keep a curry comb in the truck at all times. :lol2:
You caught us Jo curry comb show sheen and for the really bad ones some dandruff mane and tale shampoo

I think Dun has been spending a lil extra time on some of the girls tho he likes em to look purty before he AI's em

Angus Cowman":16c6q1j5 said:
I think Dun has been spending a lil extra time on some of the girls tho he likes em to look purty before he AI's em

I do hate kissing them afterwards if they aren;t all frillied up!

dun":11lzqs4b said:
Angus Cowman":11lzqs4b said:

I do hate kissing them afterwards if they aren;t all frillied up!

:roll: :cry: :? :secret:

Latest posts