cow scratching posts

Help Support CattleToday:

Mine will rub on anything but it appears they love plums the best. I guess its cause they have some give to them.

we used to have 15 apple trees in one pasture, between bears and cattle, we now have 3 left, and they'll go soon too... they like the low overhanging branches to rub their butts on

I do hate kissing them afterwards if they aren;t all frillied up!
Dunn, you don't look into those big old eyes before you kiss them is no problem.

hillrancher":13dtmn3h said:
Dunn, you don't look into those big old eyes before you kiss them is no problem.
Didn;t say I didn;t do it, just that I hated doing it.

dun":155o7kt8 said:
hillrancher":155o7kt8 said:
High conception rates don't come easy.

novatech":1mxf1h0w said:
dun":1mxf1h0w said:
hillrancher":1mxf1h0w said:
High conception rates don't come easy.

I hope they don't use any tong that would have to choke you. :secret:

I think it is an ozark thing lol. My cows are spoiled rotten but they scratch on trees too. Unless of course we are out in the pasture. Then they use us as scratching posts. Or whatever it is we happen to be driving through the field.

Just to prove my point :D
024-1.jpg

dun":2pyty34t said:
My cows must lead a deprived existence. All the have to scratch on are trees, nothing fancy that I built for them.

Hackberry trees are God's gift to itching cows. If you have as many as I do, they can find a limb or trunk of a size or angle to do meet most all scratching needs.

My cattle and especially my bull developed a liking for scratching on a frost free water hydrant and a 4x4 post with an electrical box on it! I put some barb wire around both and you would have thought they'd written me a thank you note - made them scratch on the hydrant and electrical box even more!

I ran an electrical wire around both for the winter but the wire is awkward and a long way from the fencer.

I need to sink some posts around these or something over the summer - but without cutting the water or electric lines and without making it even more attractive. steel posts in concrete?

SRBeef":1u43anc9 said:
My cattle and especially my bull developed a liking for scratching on a frost free water hydrant and a 4x4 post with an electrical box on it! I put some barb wire around both and you would have thought they'd written me a thank you note - made them scratch on the hydrant and electrical box even more!

I ran an electrical wire around both for the winter but the wire is awkward and a long way from the fencer.

I need to sink some posts around these or something over the summer - but without cutting the water or electric lines and without making it even more attractive. steel posts in concrete?

Whenever I install a freeze proof waterer I make a circle out of heavy gauge cattle panels and drive in 4 t-posts that the circle is hooked too. That has done away with the scratching and damaging the hydraunts. The circle is about 18 inches in diameter and allows pleanty of room to work the handle but they can;t touch the hydraunt itself.

Nesikep":39mvecnp said:
Bez+":39mvecnp said:
I got enough rocks to keep the cows happy.

Bez+

Rocks.. as in balls? :roll: :???:

Go away from a thread and see what happens?

Someone has to take a simple thought and immediately take it the wrong way.

Now this made me laugh - you get your mind out of the gutter young man!

I am talking truck sized boulders

Bez+

Bez,
I'm relatively new to posting here but I've been reading your posts for a while .
And with all due respect, much I might add, I never figured you for anything but truck sized boulders, with a real brassy clang to'em.

cmf1":2w8hwwo8 said:
Bez,
I'm relatively new to posting here but I've been reading your posts for a while .
And with all due respect, much I might add, I never figured you for anything but truck sized boulders, with a real brassy clang to'em.

You folks are killing me - I refuse to be drawn into this discussion anyt further!

:D :D

You think as you like - I am off......

Bez+

Latest posts