cow sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There was another stock cow sale today. This one in Vale. Something like 300-400 head. Not a lot to top end young cows and almost no heifers. The heifers only brought $1,000. The top cow was a little over $1,400. There was a lot of nicer looking broken mouth cows that were 6 months bred. They brought $950 which I though was too much for a broken mouth cow. In general a lot of 6 month bred cows. I don't want April calves so I stayed away from the 6 month bred cows. I got 5 cows all pregged to be 7 months. They averaged weighing 1,219 with an average price of $710. That works out to 58.24 cents a pound. Just a little over kill price. They have a good frame and could put on 100-200 pounds each.

Had around 400 last wk. I thought they brought PLENTY for the overall quality of the sale.
The trailer came home empty. I'll try again Feb 2nd.

Tuesday, January 5, 2021 - Packer Day

A nice crowd gathered for the January Cow Sale that consisted of pairs and bred cows of all ages and quality!

A small consignment of A.I. bred cows were very popular and topped the sale at $2050.

A few small packages of bred heifers topped at $1625 with the bigger, growthier heifers selling from $1375 to $1625. Smaller framed heifers sold mostly from $1075 and down.

The pairs with fall born calves at side topped at $1750 with the bulk selling from $1300-$1600. Smaller and/or older cows with calves traded from $1285 and down.

The best end of the young spring calvers traded homes from $1475 to $1900. A middle cut of these 3rd periods mostly 3-5 year olds sold from $1200 to $1400. Smaller framed plainer appearing 3rd periods sold from $1150/down.

2nd period bred cows topped at $1750 with the top end selling from $1275 to $1650.

Older 2nd and 3rd period cows traded mostly from $1200 and down.

Even though the merc sold off yesterday, prices on the Fed offering traded 1.00-2.00 higher on a run of 155 head. Top was 115.75 on a package of heifers weighing 1376#.

200 slaughter cows and bulls sold firm to 2.00 higher with demand a bit better than the last several weeks.

Slaughter Steers and Heifers
Choice 2-4108.00-112.50
High Yielding113.50-115.75
Low Yielding100.00-106.50
Mixed Select/Choice 2-3103.00-107.50
Select 1-298.00/down
Slaughter CowsHigh YieldAvg. YieldLow Yield
Premium Whites89.0076.0-77.0060.00-68.00
Breakers - 1300-1800#60.00-62.5056.00-59.0054.00/down
Boners - 1200-1600#60.00-63.0053.00-59.0052.50/down
Lean - 1000 - 1400#55.00-60.5046.00-52.0045.00/down
FancyGoodRest
Young cows returning to
farm for more feed94.0074.00-82.0069.00/down
Slaughter BullsHigh YieldAvg. YieldLow Yield
-80.50-87.0079.00/down

Please note:
The market report is reflective of the majority of classes and grades of livestock offered for sale. There may be instances where
some sales do not fit within reporting guidelines and therefore will not be included in the report. Prices are reported on a per cwt.
basis, unless otherwise noted

January bred market is still good here compared to calf prices, but down U$S 100 or more from early last fall.
I think some cow buyers are anticipating an increase in calf prices this fall. I would rather sell breds and beans, while retaining heifers.
Better bred heifers were U$S 1200 to $1450. Da boys like the > 1,110# breds that will become 1,600# cows.
BM cows were U$S 675 to 1075.

Last edited:
What was the price difference between 6 and 7 month bred?
Not much. Some people didn't seem to care. I have enough that I bought a month ago that were 5 months bred when I bought them. I saw a few 3 month bred cows that brought well over $1,000. To me that just doesn't pencil.

Used to be a big discount here on "late" calvers" at the late Feb/Mar sales. But half of them just had small calves so the vet guessed wrong, and half of the remainder would move up if you knew how to MIG. So they were a buy at the time if they were young.

Now calving on grass has gotten more popular, and they sell about the same, until the vet guesses they are July calvers.

I finished my winter old cow buying today. I am not sure how many they had. I needed 12 more to finish. Right after I bought the last 2 I got up and left. The 12 cows totaled 14,870 pounds. More than I can haul in one load. Especially up over Ladd Pass. I knew it was going to take 2 trips so I made tracks. Once again they averaged costing 58 cents a pound. Just a bit over kill price. Mostly 8 month breds with a couple 7's and one 6. There is 7 blacks, 3 black whiteface, and 2 reds. The broken mouth cows were priced more in line with what they should be worth. They had 60 or so bred heifers that topped over $1,400. Good young cows were $1,400. They had a bunch of commercial Hereford cows from a top of the line Hereford breeder. They were $800-$1,000. They had 20 or more BWF from that same Hereford guy. They were off $150 or so. But you know they were bred Hereford.

Dave - - Do you see consistent BM bred cow prices during the winter while you are competing with the kill buyers, or is it more a matter of going to all the sales to be their when they run out of other - - not kill - - buyers.

Dave - - Do you see consistent BM bred cow prices during the winter while you are competing with the kill buyers, or is it more a matter of going to all the sales to be their when they run out of other - - not kill - - buyers.
The BM prices sure haven't been consistent. I was at a special cow sale in early December where I sat on my hands the entire sale. Paying $1150 for BM cows is not my idea of a good business plan. There was two guys yesterday at the front of the sale paying too much but they filled up and prices dropped. They were selling by the head but with a ring scale and a reader board that shows the weight it is easy to figure what they are pounding for. The kill buyers get the crippled, crazy, and short bred ones. I know who the kill buyers are I sometimes see them bid. I know their number when the auctioneer calls it. The killers were paying 50-54 cents.
The one thing the sale yard screwed up on yesterday was some of the groups they sold (they like selling big groups) was bringing in 8 or 10 cows. Most would be 5 months bred but 2 were 8 months. I would have paid more for the 8 month breds but didn't want those shorter bred cows. More than one of those kind of groups went to the kill buyers. They started out selling big groups. 15-20 BM cows all bred 8 months or all bred 7 months. Some of those sold reasonably but I only needed 12...... One thing at the sale you have to remember what your plan is.

Consigned 18 running age wf May calving cows today. Sales barn owner said they would bring U$S 1200 to 1450. Lying bastard.
I was talking to B today about the sale. I was telling him about those Hereford cows and BWF from that Hereford breeder. B said if they were from his commercial herd they were most likely bred black. I believe him. He is pretty involved with all the ranching in the county and know what people do. But I do find it kind of funny. A big time registered Hereford guy who also has a commercial herd and uses a black bull on his commercial cows. What does that say about his faith in the calves from his Hereford bulls.

I was talking to B today about the sale. I was telling him about those Hereford cows and BWF from that Hereford breeder. B said if they were from his commercial herd they were most likely bred black. I believe him. He is pretty involved with all the ranching in the county and know what people do. But I do find it kind of funny. A big time registered Hereford guy who also has a commercial herd and uses a black bull on his commercial cows. What does that say about his faith in the calves from his Hereford bulls.
Might say more about his faith in the market to give him a fair price for cattle based on colour.

That really doesn't surprise me. I'd rather work with Herefords than any other breed, but the dock on those Hereford calves is painful whether they are top notch calves or not. BWF calves will sell good so only makes sense to cross them.

That really doesn't surprise me. I'd rather work with Herefords than any other breed, but the dock on those Hereford calves is painful whether they are top notch calves or not. BWF calves will sell good so only makes sense to cross them.
I sure know the financial reasons. Both the hybrid vigor and market for doing that. I just found it amusing that a guy who raises Hereford bulls that sell extremely well at his sale would use a black bull on his own cows. I wonder if he buys his bulls private treaty? There are a couple of high powered Angus breeders right in his neighborhood. Would a big name Hereford breeder want to be seen sitting at an Angus bull sale bidding on bulls? Or does he just stop by at the neighbors place one day and purchase a few bulls over coffee?

I sure know the financial reasons. Both the hybrid vigor and market for doing that. I just found it amusing that a guy who raises Hereford bulls that sell extremely well at his sale would use a black bull on his own cows. I wonder if he buys his bulls private treaty? There are a couple of high powered Angus breeders right in his neighborhood. Would a big name Hereford breeder want to be seen sitting at an Angus bull sale bidding on bulls? Or does he just stop by at the neighbors place one day and purchase a few bulls over coffee?
I don't know the particulars of anybody's programs, but I've heard of some Hereford breeders around here using Angus bulls on some of their cows. It's become pretty common for some registered Angus breeders to use Hereford bulls as cleanup bulls too.

I don't know the particulars of anybody's programs, but I've heard of some Hereford breeders around here using Angus bulls on some of their cows. It's become pretty common for some registered Angus breeders to use Hereford bulls as cleanup bulls too.
Yes. Baldy cows made from good stock are hard to find and command a premium because so few people keep Herefords on hand to make them.

A good friend uses the best Fleckvieh genetics out there on a big share of his Horned Hereford cows and sells the half blood bulls for twice what the straight blood bulls bring.

A good friend uses the best Fleckvieh genetics out there on a big share of his Horned Hereford cows and sells the half blood bulls for twice what the straight blood bulls bring.
Stay tuned
I believe you will see folks turning to some Hereford cows in the future. We have bred angus for to long for color.
Due to color crap pricing at sale barn, many of us are not willing to go Hereford bull due to throwback red. Aka less money for same quality calve.
We have been using ai on yearlings and first calve heifers for several years, to get some Hereford genetics back in herd without getting killed for color. , and I can tell you the Hereford influence has put the beef back on the carcass.
Last angus bull we purchased ended up with screw toe at 24 months, reputable breeder made it right with new bull. Also is very concerned this becoming a real issue in angus breed. Ask our vet about this, comment was angus seem to be the majority of this stuff.
Been doing this long enough to remember when yellow/spotted simmentals were the rage
Charlois the rage etc.
Nobody even knows the great shorthorns that were like muscle men.
Sorry a bit off subject

Latest posts