Cow sale today

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
Three big black cows (2) 7 yo and (1) 8 yo, two of them goodlooking cows and one not as good, with a lot of condition, bigger than I thought averaging 1693, third stage. 1275/hd

talltimber":1mkrr34u said:
Three big black cows (2) 7 yo and (1) 8 yo, two of them goodlooking cows and one not as good, with a lot of condition, bigger than I thought averaging 1693, third stage. 1275/hd
Pretty congruent with what in seeing. Interesting to see the different lingo. Here condition means thin, which is a good thing on calves though.

Yes, one too big, all too fat, but all grass. I was pretty positive they were bred so I knew I probably wouldn't know what they weighed after the sale since we couldn't stay. We stopped off at a little shop to grab a sandwich and a feed store was just down the road, so we ran down there and weighed as I was sure curious about them. I guessed the biggest at around 1500. Missed her by quite a bit.

cattle60":1015oio0 said:
TT- Where you at the Farmington sale? You bought those big cows?

Yes, I was just there long enough to drop cows off. We had to get back before dark.

No, I sold them.

Did you see them sell?

Bar E":3c5obw2s said:
farmerjan":3c5obw2s said:
Bred heifer sale last Friday. Commercial, not fancy but most decent. Avg 1000 to 1200 head.

Wow. Up here your looking at $2000 - $2200

Where is up here?? Post your location in your profile so we have an idea of where you are farming/ranching. And :welcome:

talltimber":3nmf5b7z said:

How far bred were they? Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

Ojp6":3s4gz4ub said:
talltimber":3s4gz4ub said:

How far bred were they? Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

If they bred up like they should have, two should be calving around the last of Jan or first of Feb. The third could be any time, but not showing. Thats why I was curious if c60 was at the sale. I was wondering how they preg checked, as the girls in the office didn't have that info.

Yes, I was there, but didn't get there until a couple of hours after it started. I saw some that were probably yours, remember cause they were so big, seems they were tagged as 1 second and 2 third stage. I believe they came through about 4:00. There were only 1 other little bunch that I saw that were about that size.

Thanks, that was probably them. The girls didn't have our info available til pretty late, 6:30 or so.

I was the most curious about the one. I was on the fence about taking her with the other two but am glad I did if she was just in the second stage. I don't know how to palp. Need to learn.

Could be helpful, But it is still a guess. have bought second stage that had a calf two weeks later. But could help decide about to keep or sell.

Had some 3 and 4 year old three in one pairs that brought right at 2300. Most stayed between 1300 to 1800. Had some old bred that only brought 600. some might have been worth taking a chance on, wasn't in too bad a shape.

We will buy those old bred cows when they are little more than pound price. Have lost a couple but most all have done well. We make sure they get a little extra feed once they get settled in, keep them separate and get them calved out. They hold their condition even with calves, when we feed some corn silage. Had one that raised a humdinger of a calf, bred her back and she stayed for 3 more calves. Never got a heifer out of her, but we bought her for 400 as she was poor/thin. Gave her all the hay she could eat, then after a month started giving her about 2-3 lbs grain a day. Just a little bit. She made us some money and got back about 300 in lb price. Never weighed over 900 lbs when she was 9 months preg. Called her Chocolate; char/angus cross I guess. Friendly, guess she thought she'd died and gone to heaven when we brought her home and there was this big old round bale she could eat on to her hearts content. Last calf was tough on her and I said that was it.

Latest posts