Cow Prolapse and No calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
Pulled up today going to feed some hay and this old cow was laid out with a prolapse. I drove in a circle around her and didn't see a new calf anywhere or buzzards so I though well it must still be in her. Got her up and was putting it in and I never felt a calf. She never pushed while we had her up. I veteran farmer was with me and he bumped her and he said she didn't have big calf in her. Said he couldn't tell a small calf. I sewed her up. I guess its a possibility she left the calf but I wouldn't think she would go far with that hanging out. You reckon she had the calf or do I need to take the stitches out in case the calf is still in there?

Assuming you're talking about a vaginal prolapse, she's probably got a calf in her. The weight of the pregnancy pushes it out when she lies down.

I agree with Buck. A rectal exam may help determine if the calf is still in there. bumping a calf is hard to detect if it is in the delivery position already.

Do I keep her sewed up and keep an eye on her? You think it will come right back out?
You're in a tough spot. Without the stitch they usually come right back out. Watching her and hoping to cut the stitch out when she starts to calve is a best case scenario. Depending on what you used for suture and how you put it in, there's also a good chance that she just pushes the calf right through it. She'll be a torn up mess, but they usually heal eventually.

I'd recommend having your vet look at her. That way you can know for sure that she's pregnant and you're not just hanging on to a cull cow longer than you need to. If she's far enough along, they can give shots to induce calving so you'll at least have a window where you can expect it.

You're in a tough spot. Without the stitch they usually come right back out. Watching her and hoping to cut the stitch out when she starts to calve is a best case scenario. Depending on what you used for suture and how you put it in, there's also a good chance that she just pushes the calf right through it. She'll be a torn up mess, but they usually heal eventually.

I'd recommend having your vet look at her. That way you can know for sure that she's pregnant and you're not just hanging on to a cull cow longer than you need to. If she's far enough along, they can give shots to induce calving so you'll at least have a window where you can expect it.
Boot lace and hog rings. My buddy that helped me done the same thing a week ago and today he found he she calved and it pulled the rings out. But looking here over real good in daylight today she is bagged up real good and is thinner than she was two days ago. I'm afraid she had trouble calving the night before last and lost the calf and I couldn't find it

may be looking thinner just because the calf is in the delivery channel. my bet is that she still has the calf inside. my experience is once they have the calf, the vaginal prolapse goes away. I have a cow right now that looks the same way and I know for sure that the calf is still in her. The vet checked her and did not stitch since it goes back in when she stand up and is due to calf any day now. if it does not go in when she is standing then she needs to get stitched up and cut the stiches when she is in labor. vet said my cow has a really big calf or twins. please keep us posted.

may be looking thinner just because the calf is in the delivery channel. my bet is that she still has the calf inside. my experience is once they have the calf, the vaginal prolapse goes away. I have a cow right now that looks the same way and I know for sure that the calf is still in her. The vet checked her and did not stitch since it goes back in when she stand up and is due to calf any day now. if it does not go in when she is standing then she needs to get stitched up and cut the stiches when she is in labor. vet said my cow has a really big calf or twins. please keep us posted.
I'm got her in the corral with hay, water and cubes once a day. Her bag is big, I would think if she got a calf in her it will happen soon

I'm got her in the corral with hay, water and cubes once a day. Her bag is big, I would think if she got a calf in her it will happen soon
my cow had a nice size bull calf last night and no prolapse this morning when she was laying down. both seem to be doing fine. hope you have similar luck with your cow.

Latest posts