cow problem?

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
We have a six year old ba cow with a march calf on her and saturday was in excellent condition but on monday evening she was standing there drooling with her mouth open and wallowing her tongue around constantly,her body had shrunk down a bunch.Hauled her to the vet on tuesday morning and her tongue looked normal,teeth looked ok she did have a sore/red area under her tongue that the vet thought she might have had something lodged in her mouth,I'm wondering if wallowing her tongue around non stop caused it. The vet ai'ed her on may 13th so he pregged her and she's bred so he gave her a shot of antibiotic and said keep an eye on her. Before I turned her out in the pasture I fed her some sweet feed but she didn't eat much,she did go to the pond and drink water. Today she looks really thin and stood around with her mouth open and drooling and was wallowing her tongue around but not as much as the day before. I'm worried about her condition going down hill and she doesn't appear to be eating any grass.
Have you guys ever had a cow with these symptoms??? :???:

I had a cow this last summer, same age calf, appeared looking really miserable, wouldn't eat, would drink only a little. She would chew and swallow if I put grass in her mouth, would not drink enough to keep herself alive, so we piped it into her. Milk production had stopped instantly and so did the production of anything out the back end except a bit of mucous. Two vets palpated rectally, couldn't find anything, but thought she had an internal bleed (some boysenberry colored feces). She had an intussusseption, died eight days later. There would have been no saving her, but I wish I'd known what ailed her from the start and I'd have shot her seven and a half days earlier.

No idea what might be wrong with your cow, but I offer you that experience for what it may be worth.

Today she is standing in the shade chewing her cud and I didn't see her wallowing her tongue around or slobbering that much but she has lost a lot of weight compared to what she looked like last Saturday.

I had a bull that was standing by the pond one day wallowing tongue kind sounds like what your cow is doing ,but he did'nt loose weight , he also could not swallow even water so I took him to vet and he was running a temp vet thought something was lodged in throat but it was not but throat was swelled real bad. Vet did not know what to think. This bull had a bad habbit of butting things ,not people, so bad I tied a plastic 55 gal drum in a tree and he would spend houres butting it so that made me think of something he may have done and sure enough he had. he had broke into the bee hives busted up 4 hives and ate some honey with the bees all vet could say was leave him here over night and you may have a live bull or you may not. He did live and got fine but I sent him on the one way trip. and do I ever have some more stories that this bull did he was raised a pet and that was a big problem

BRYANT":3fb9bhvs said:
I had a bull that was standing by the pond one day wallowing tongue kind sounds like what your cow is doing ,but he did'nt loose weight , he also could not swallow even water so I took him to vet and he was running a temp vet thought something was lodged in throat but it was not but throat was swelled real bad. Vet did not know what to think. This bull had a bad habbit of butting things ,not people, so bad I tied a plastic 55 gal drum in a tree and he would spend houres butting it so that made me think of something he may have done and sure enough he had. he had broke into the bee hives busted up 4 hives and ate some honey with the bees all vet could say was leave him here over night and you may have a live bull or you may not. He did live and got fine but I sent him on the one way trip. and do I ever have some more stories that this bull did he was raised a pet and that was a big problem
Sounds like one you could wright a book about.

Similar deal last summer with one of my son's cows, a Maine/Chi/Angus cross.
She lost weight rapidly, had a high temp, slobbered a lot, and stood in water tanks whenever possible. She also slipped a new pregnancy and did not come back in heat until Sept.
Diagnosed as Fescue Poisoning.
New mineral mix and $200 in drugs later, she was fine.
Bred back in October and waiting for that baby to come soon.
She stayed in good condition through the winter and spring but has dropped some weight again this summer.

Good luck to you!