Cow problem

Help Support CattleToday:

swfa farmer

Reaction score
I have got a sick cow that has been sick for about 2 weeks. I first noticed her staying by herself away from the herd and not eating anything. So I decided to put her in the lot away from the other cows and give her a shot of la300. So a week went by and she still hasn't gotten better but she would eat feed but no hay and drink a little water. So I called the vet and she said it could be a number of things and she gave me a shot of nuflor to give her. I gave her the shot about a week ago and the very next day I noticed she wouldn't drink much water and wouldn't eat any feed or hay. Now she seems to be getting worse everyday and Now she has some long mucus like stuff hanging out her back end. So I think she is about to abort her calf. Below is a picture of this. Is there anything else I should do? I fear if nothing changes she's gonna die soon because she won't drink any water or eat anything.

Thanks

What does her bag look like? The mucus is generally a sign they're close to calving. Have you noticed any blood and do you know when she's due? Need more info: Is her temp normal? If she's not eating or drinking much is she drooling &/or have you checked her mouth to see if there are sores, woody tongue, etc?

Muddy":2nfulxuw said:
Looks like retained afterbirth....

From the pics it looks like her vag is swollen & her tail is to the side, which would be prior to calving. But a pic is not much to go on so point taken. To the OP: does she have a foul odor? Also . . . what else is going on? Snotty nose, coughing? I'm assuming if she hasn't been eating much there's a loss of condition but is it drastic?

TCRanch":2ot4cd8h said:
Muddy":2ot4cd8h said:
Looks like retained afterbirth....

From the pics it looks like her vag is swollen & her tail is to the side, which would be prior to calving. But a pic is not much to go on so point taken. To the OP: does she have a foul odor? Also . . . what else is going on? Snotty nose, coughing? I'm assuming if she hasn't been eating much there's a loss of condition but is it drastic?
I think the calf has died and still inside her....

Does she seem to be breathing differently than normal? If she's not eating or drinking anything I would get the vet there ASAP in order to determine what's causing it. Could be any number of things. The farther down she goes, the harder it will be to get her built back up. Hope she pulls through for you.

That's how mine look prior to calving - discharge is clear. You don't mention when she's due.

Thats NOT how mine look after calving - doesn't look like placenta as I see it in mine.

Calf could still be dead inside her. Could be about to calve and just sick. Could have aborted and sick. Maybe just sick.

Need to sleeve up or get the vet out or at least take a temp. Did the vet tell you why he gave you the nuflor?

Um.

There are so many things wrong with this post... I'd better stop there.

Yes I called the vet immediately after I made this post and she came and checked the calf and said it was still alive and about 5 months old. She said it could possibly have gotten ahold of something poisonous and she gave her another shot of nuflor and said she thinks it's gonna get better. Well I went up this morning and seen her standing by her trough and looked ok and thought nothing else about it. I went home for about and hour or 2 and came back and the cow is as dead as a doornail. I'm kinda at loss for words about how quickly this happened. I would also like to know exactly what was wrong with her but I guess I will never know for sure.

Sorry for your loss. The only way to know for sure is to have the vet perform a necropsy. Presumably she performed a thorough exam on the cow & may have an idea other than possibly something poisonous (Nuflor is an antibiotic). Any additional information you can provide her will be helpful.

Sorry. That blows. No way to know I don't think. Odd the vet gave her nuflor and said poison though. She must have thought something else to give nuflor. Did she have a temp?

Yes she done a very good examination of the cow and said it wasn't running a fever. She said the reasoning for giving her a shot of nuflor was to help her stomach. I gave her a shot of nuflor 3 or 4 days prior and it seem to made her worse. When the vet said she was going to give her another shot of nuflor I said to myself "why in the hell is she gonna give this shot that didn't help the first time" but I didn't because I'm not a vet and I figured she knew best. I find it weird that the cow seemed to be doing a little better then it was giving a shot it didn't need, then it falls over 12 hours later and dies. It had too be one of my best cows on my farm too but like my dad says if you have never lost a cow your not in the cattle business. I appreciate everyone's help and opinions

Thanks,

Cody

It's always the best cows. Even if it was a piece of crap while it was alive, as soon as it dies it gets elevated.

Latest posts