cow problem need help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

djones

Reaction score
I have a bull calf that is approximately 3 months old, my question is. He can't seem to be able to get up off
of the ground on his own after helping him get up he seems to be fine until he lays down again. Now he got sick a
couple of weeks ago when all this started to happen I gave him the la200 treatment and even gave him Penisillion
he seemed to get better from being sick but now he can not get up off the ground. I have been giving him B12, and A&D vitamins
when he is up heems seems to be fine he eats grain still give him suckle drinks from a bottle or from a bucket. thought I would seek some advise before I decide to go the alternative route. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chuck

Hold him down on his side and apply pressure with your hands and fingers to his hip areas and all over his body to see if you hit a sensitive area. He may have been stepped on by a large cow and be injured in his hip or back. When he tries to stand he may be experiencing pain, but once standing it may be more tolerable. May be stressed or torn ligaments, or bone bruising. Hope there are no broken bones or vertebrae damage.

Let us know what you find.

HUS

Alternative route ????????

You need proper meds as well not otc.
But first what is his:
Temp ?
Is he scouring?

BTW, Hus this is a bottle calf. More than likely he has pneumonia..

hillsdown":38bykxt3 said:
Alternative route ????????

You need proper meds as well not otc.
But first what is his:
Temp ?
Is he scouring?

BTW, Hus this is a bottle calf. More than likely he has pneumonia..

You're right HD. :oops: Missed the bottle calf point in the post. You're steering him in a better direction.

Thanks, :tiphat:
HUS

His temp has only been around 103 to 103.7 he had been scouring and it seems to come and go
one day he is scouring then it will harden then he starts scouring Etc.etc.

Chuck

djones":kv4uxc6h said:
His temp has only been around 103 to 103.7 he had been scouring and it seems to come and go

Chuck

His temp is too high, I would use Draxxin, Banamine and Probios . His feed should have Bovatec or Rumensin in it, if not treat him with Corid and when you're finished with that worm him orally with Safe Gard . Let him suck some electrolye solution out of a bottle until he gets over the looseness .

Larry

In my opinion even though it is not that high it is still a temp. The little guy needs real meds and for that you need a visit to the vet. Tomorrow is a holiday so keep up with the pen and vitamins until then and Tues. morn go see your vet..DO NOT walk away with anything less than the following one of these meds,, Nuflor, Baytril, Draxxin, Excenel or the likes...Tell vet all symptoms as well as temps.

Other question what kind of milk are you feeding as well as other feed ie. hay and grain ?

Fwiw if he is still willing to eat, he is still willing to live.. :)

Sorry Larry, we are postimg at the same time.. :)

my calf is getting suckle milk replacer, one and a half bottles in the morning and just one at night. They have calf starter grain during the day to fill them up in between.

Just an update and a big ole thanks to all that replied, Went to the vet and got the following meds, Nuflor, Banamine and Probios.
I gave him plenty of Electrolites and kept up with the vitamins and also dewormed him and now he is doing just fine Getting up and down like normal and running around like a little child for the past two weeks. It was pneumonia. the only side affect that I noticed was a lose of hair he had a couple of spots where the hair just fell out one spot where I had given a shot on the neck. Is this something I should worry about? Any how thanks to all who had replied.

Chuck

It is nice to hear when thinks work out for the best and I'm glad he is feeling better. So often people post with issues and advice is given and we never hear how things turned out. Thanks for letting everyone know!

djones":3k79axn4 said:

Chuck

Only 103 to 103.7? That is a little high and a cause for concern.

djones":3nnlvncf said:
Just an update and a big ole thanks to all that replied, Went to the vet and got the following meds, Nuflor, Banamine and Probios.
I gave him plenty of Electrolites and kept up with the vitamins and also dewormed him and now he is doing just fine Getting up and down like normal and running around like a little child for the past two weeks. It was pneumonia. the only side affect that I noticed was a lose of hair he had a couple of spots where the hair just fell out one spot where I had given a shot on the neck. Is this something I should worry about? Any how thanks to all who had replied.

Chuck

Glad it all worked out. I am glad you got the real meds to kick that pneumonia in the dit dang.

Latest posts