Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I NEVER start a bid until the auctioneer is getting to the point of buying themselves.

But as you say, A, B, C, and D. Post a pic...
I have never seen an auctioneer buy one themself here. They just keep lowering the price until they get a bid or the critter gets PO'ed. I just never noticed the eye. Without that eye where others would have bid this cow would have sold for $1,600-1,700. I figured that I would get blown out of the water.

I have never seen an auctioneer buy one themself here. They just keep lowering the price until they get a bid or the critter gets PO'ed. I just never noticed the eye. Without that eye where others would have bid this cow would have sold for $1,600-1,700. I figured that I would get blown out of the water.
I wouldn't care about the eye either. Treat it best ya can and proceed. Good buy!

I wouldn't care about the eye either. Treat it best ya can and proceed. Good buy!
All the other things have kept me from running her down the chute today. But I just fed them a few minutes ago. From 10 feet away I think it looks better today. I am thinking less pink eye and more that she just poked herself in the eye. Later today or maybe tomorrow she and the others I bought on Thursday will go down the chute for a brand, ear tag, and pour on. Will get a close look at the eye then.

All the other things have kept me from running her down the chute today. But I just fed them a few minutes ago. From 10 feet away I think it looks better today. I am thinking less pink eye and more that she just poked herself in the eye. Later today or maybe tomorrow she and the others I bought on Thursday will go down the chute for a brand, ear tag, and pour on. Will get a close look at the eye then.
Glad to hear of improvement.

You have missed a lot. A nod to a ring man or a glance to the bud out in the seats. Purebred auctions are worse with fictitious buyers based on the drop to a price to kick that in and the ring men taking bids from the ghost behind the last row. Not something to be proud of but it happens. Just know who and where and avoid them like the plague.

You have missed a lot. A nod to a ring man or a glance to the bud out in the seats. Purebred auctions are worse with fictitious buyers based on the drop to a price to kick that in and the ring men taking bids from the ghost behind the last row. Not something to be proud of but it happens. Just know who and where and avoid them like the plague.
I've been known to bid them up and leave the hanging. In fact I did that with the house I'm currently living in.

Curious - you say you will be branding them. I realize that you have open range and everyone brands - but -do some cows have LOTS of brands?

Yes some will have a lot of brands. I haven't noticed that on these but we need to get them in the chute to really see. As the saying goes trust your neighbors but brand your cattle. It is a whole lot easier to brand them than to keep the brand release and remember which one is which.

I should have worded that differently. I have never seen one start the bidding and end up buying it for that bid. I have seen them act like they have a bid or even two bids. Then when nobody else bids they drop the bid price again. I had one sell me a cow which I never bid on. I said something to an order buyer sitting beside me that I never bid. He said I could see you were thinking about it. I didn't say anything to the auctioneer and she worked real well. Had it been something I didn't want I would have raised cane.
I was at a bucking horse sale put on by Deb Copenavor. They were selling a horse and the bidding suddenly stopped. Jim Shouldeers looked up at the auctioneer and said I think it is about time you bought one. The auctioneer looked about half sick. They went to the next horse. I never saw that auctioneer after that at any sale of any kind.

Some auctioneers are bad for acting like they have a bid.
One here will get caught with one occasionally and point to the person buying that type and say, that was your bid wasn't it. Usually we just say yes and go on. He has been an auctioneer for over 50 years so everyone knows and likes him and let's him get away with about anything.

Bought 2 cows today. They are 1200 lb black cows bred 7 & 8 months. They cost $1425. That is about my top bid on old broken mouth cows. But they mouth them and called these 2 to be 3-5 years old. They are young enough that they may not get on the truck with the old cows. Young cows for old cow price. No bred cow buyers today. Everything else went to kill.

Wow, not many people there to bid. Our local auction has at least half the seats filled. I don't think I've ever seen so few people at an auction.
I thought the same thing. Yesterday was a short sale but way more people there. Heck on days with a pretty good snow we have more people than that.

Wow, not many people there to bid. Our local auction has at least half the seats filled. I don't think I've ever seen so few people at an auction.

I thought the same thing. Yesterday was a short sale but way more people there. Heck on days with a pretty good snow we have more people than that.
And that was early in the sale!
Calf buyers don't show up til noon. They attend another sale early. Then some of the cow buyers leave and head to the other sale to buy cows!

Latest posts