Cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

One thing I did right during the last beef price rodeo was buying colored BM cows. On average, I got two high priced calves out of them.

Is there a situation where one and dones, could become two and dones?
Some might but I have learned that they all don't. Our range ground is not friendly for old cows. So I stick with the program. August 15 they get on a truck. Also with this program 5 months from Aug 15 to around Jan 15 or later I am not feeding cows.

Before the dry weather here, many late bred and/or BM range cows were shipped east to MN in the fall and put on TMR ration. After they put on some weight they would be sorted into groups and resold as breds. These fleshy cows would usually be 1500 to 1600 pounds. The auctioneer story was that our grass was "softer" and they would do fine. If they were lucky, these cows went to an operation that fed some corn silage.

One thing I did right during the last beef price rodeo was buying colored BM cows. On average, I got two high priced calves out of them.

Is there a situation where one and dones, could become two and dones?
"Old" for one rancher may be middle aged for another. I've bought many smooth/broken mouth culls and raised replacement heifers from them. The only issue is having decent forage and watching closely to be sure the cow stays in good condition. An old cow will tell you by her condition when she's ready to go to the sale barn. Some one and dones have turned into three and done.

We're probably going to sell off most of our 7+ year old mommas as the grass greens up this spring. In general, what do y'all prefer to sell them as heavy breds or pairs? Right now pairs are only running $25 -$50 more per head than breds. Kind of makes me wonder if it's worth messing with the babies.

I posted above about buying 3 beef master bulls, we were planning on cutting them and feeding them out, my son talked to the owner today who he used to run around with, and his old friend told him they were registered and came out of his in-laws stock, and if we can get them looking good he can get $7k apiece for them?
He will have to have a percentage for the papers, but for that kind of money it's worth a try.

I posted above about buying 3 beef master bulls, we were planning on cutting them and feeding them out, my son talked to the owner today who he used to run around with, and his old friend told him they were registered and came out of his in-laws stock, and if we can get them looking good he can get $7k apiece for them?
He will have to have a percentage for the papers, but for that kind of money it's worth a try.
Pics?

Good ones... from the side, please. Ages and weights too if you can, and pics of the cows that produced them.

I'll try to get some when I get home.
They look so rough I hate posting them. Lol.
They are eating good and should weigh 1,100 lbs but ont weighed 750
Looking forward to seeing them. I've seen some starved cattle that were great producers even though stunted. Let's see what you have and see where it goes.

Not really good pictures, but here they are.
Yeah, pics need to be from the sunny side. But my initial impression is that they are skinny (as you said) and need some feed. If you can post better ones I'd still like to see them.

The bull in the third pic is pretty long legged and I suspect not bull material just because of the lacking depth of body... but that could be the condition talking.

Feed them up and let's see them in three/four months.

I'm having to pick up grandkids today, I dropped one off and headed back to pick up the granddaughter from softball practice.
I jumped out and snapped a few pictures.
I agree the one you mentioned we dislike.
I believe they are teething and he didn't want/have the funds to take care of them.
They do have a good disposition, and are aggressive eaters.

I might suggest that if previous owner thinks these bulls are worth 7k apiece he may have fed them a lot better. I think you made a good buy to make feeder steers out of in the least.

Latest posts