Cow pregnant and close to calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a Charolais/Bramer cross that has been breed to a full blood black angus bull. I'm not exactly sure but I think March of this year is supposed to be the due date. Not sure of exact day in March. What bothers me now is that for a week or 10 days she looks like she may have had it already. Her vulva is extremely large. l haven't seen a calf and she hasn't miss a feeding. I am going to try to post picture. Opinions please .

Teats look dry the bag is full. Looks like it is close to calving. I have some cows that will "spring" for a couple of weeks"and some you didn't know they were going to calve. As long as you don't see buzzards and the cow is staying with the herd then I wouldn't worry

wbvs58 said:
That oedema/swelling goes down real quick after they have calved.

Ken
bulldog04 said:
Teats look dry the bag is full. Looks like it is close to calving. I have some cows that will "spring" for a couple of weeks"and some you didn't know they were going to calve. As long as you don't see buzzards and the cow is staying with the herd then I wouldn't worry

I rode the pastures this afternoon after I posted this and walked the wooded areas near the creek and found nothing. I saw buzzards about 3 week ago but she wasn't that swollen then. These buzzards were looking at another that had calved and all was well so they left after I came up and never came back. I really think she will go any time now. Just had one born last week and it started raining that night and rain for 3 days and got 4 inches. Turn cold during the rain and the wind blew up to 30 mile an hour wind gusts. I worried day and night that I couldn't do something for the cow and calf. I am laid up at present with double shoulder surgery and have spent 6 weeks on a sling & brace day and night. Doctor says maybe 2 more weeks. No lifting or anything that might pull or push shoulder. If it doesn't take it will be a shoulder replacement. After 3 day rains and low 30's, when rain stopped I rode pastures and there was the baby calf and mom, doing well. Praise GOD all was ok. I was worried about it taking pneumonia and becoming a handful for a single handed guy. 🤠🐂🐂