Cow Pregnancy Test

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
I am familiar with the usual pregnancy signs the cow makes or dosen't make.

Is there a test that can be administered to determine if a cow is pregnant?

Thanks all.

Yes, your vet can palpate them at about 45 days (I think) post exposure to the bull and determine if they are pregnant or not.

GaryDG":ufe5mkwi said:
Are there other testing options which involve a simple blood drop / saliva test?

Never heard of it - anyone else?

Bez!

There is a blood test that can determine pregnancy. The web site is http://www.biotracking.com. You can also do a search on this site. There have been treads on this before. We bled some heifers and plan to do some more in a few weeks. It beats having to call a vet or palpator to do it. 97% accurate 30 days after breeding. Cost is reasonable, too. You just have to be able to hit the tail veil to draw the blood.

Farmgirl

Can't get much cheaper than $1-$3 for a rectal palpation.

It'd be (at least!) 3 times the work to draw blood for a test.

My vet can tell down to 32 days if the cow is pregnant, and accurate nearly to the DAY up to 60-90 days of pregnancy. Over that and he's still rarely more than 10-15 days off.

Caustic Burno":w4rzkmcx said:
Bez!":w4rzkmcx said:
GaryDG":w4rzkmcx said:
Are there other testing options which involve a simple blood drop / saliva test?

Bez!

I guess you could go to Walgreens and buy a bucket of ept's and try to get her to pee on it for you.

What a visual that makes! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I agree with Milkmaid. I think it's simplier to palpate. Cows don't like needles, I don't either.

Caustic Burno":10age1xe said:
Bez!":10age1xe said:
GaryDG":10age1xe said:

Bez!

I guess you could go to Walgreens and buy a bucket of ept's and try to get her to pee on it for you.

Yeah, Caustic, but then there's that whole ordeal of sitting there with the bull nervously looking over your shoulder waiting for the little plus or minus to appear. I can't stand the tension!! ;-)

milkmaid":3dtntlf0 said:
Can't get much cheaper than $1-$3 for a rectal palpation.

probably depends on how many head and how far away the vet is.

GaryDG":24pc400c said:
I am familiar with the usual pregnancy signs the cow makes or dosen't make.

Is there a test that can be administered to determine if a cow is pregnant?

Thanks all.

The most common way is to get a vet to palpate the cow. However, you may be able to find someone to ultrasound her. It can be done, but there aren't many people out there that do it.

Don't laugh now, but I tried the human pregnancy tests on some cows and they do not work. They didn't even register, I tried 3 just to see if it would work or not. It is real easy to get then to pee - all you have to do is put them in the squeese chute, they pee every time their in there ;-)

Someone tried it a year or so ago and posted the results. False positives, false negatives and some nothing at all.

dun

We have been bleeding cows for a couple of years. The cost is even cheaper than the 3.50 a cow plus ranch call. We bled 40 head last fall and it ran $3.33 a head and we did it when we wanted to not when the vet or someone else could get here. As was stated before it is 97% acc. not many i have used are that good and come when i need them. Hope this helps. some of the big ranches in our area are using it and they are real ranchers.

Latest posts