COW PIES

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows":24lypbkc said:
If you buy a chain harrow or use truck tires,I like to use baler twine to attach to a clevis on the tractor.You then have a shear point if you find a rock or stob that is hidden. i have seen the main bar bent badly on a chain harrow and have heard tire/type drags going airbourne.A chain drag should be hung up in a tree or parked on rocks to keep from losing it,which I've done.
But you will miss all the fun of untangling it from you shredder. Or better yet buying new tires because you drove over your harrow. Does this sound like I may have had that experience ? :oops:

We use a 12 foot chain harrow, does a nice job on the pies and seems to set the nettles back as well. One of the most utilized implements on the place.

We got 18 wheeler tires from the tire shop (free) and used old cable from the junk yard to tie then together in the shape of a triangle - started with 5 in the back and went up to 1. The only problem with it is that it won't drag the pastures without me pulling it ;-)

One extra benefit down in south Louisiana. We have fire ants by the ton. If you drag your pastures during a cold spell (preferably when it's below freezing), it will help to kill the fire ants for the upcoming year as well as spread the manure.My dad pulls an old rail road track. He swears that he benefits more by knocking over the fire ants than the cow patties.

novatech":1173svad said:
mtncows":1173svad said:
If you buy a chain harrow or use truck tires,I like to use baler twine to attach to a clevis on the tractor.You then have a shear point if you find a rock or stob that is hidden. i have seen the main bar bent badly on a chain harrow and have heard tire/type drags going airbourne.A chain drag should be hung up in a tree or parked on rocks to keep from losing it,which I've done.
But you will miss all the fun of untangling it from you shredder. Or better yet buying new tires because you drove over your harrow. Does this sound like I may have had that experience ? :oops:

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has had their chain harrow mowed. Boy was that a mess. I knew where it was but my son didn't. He decided he would pitch in and help without being told what to do. Well, the harrow ain't what it used to be.

jogeephus I think bahia grass can hind one in less than a weeks time. My dad unhooked from ours out behind my hay barn right on the edge of the hay field, and didn't tell me :mad:
Man did I get a surprise when I was mowing around the barn and caught the back corner of it :shock:

Oh and my dogs seem to take care of the piles I miss with the drag, I just tell the wife I trained them to do that and come back and lay in the flower bed to save her some work putting fertlizer on them ;-)

Latest posts