cow paralyzed after pulling large calf

Help Support CattleToday:

D Land

Reaction score
Pulled a large calf today and the cow's rear end is paralyzed. How long should I give her to get up? If I have to put her down it will be my first time to do so. Advice on best technique appreciated

I would just give her some time. I've had it happen a few times where their backend was paralyzed and they couldn't do a thing with it. Gave them a few days to recover and just like that they were standing, albeit a little wobbly at first.

I just went to check on her. She's on her side and isn't able to turn enought to lay "cow style."

not good when they are on their side. Next step is on their back and the next step is the rendering truck.

I would try to get her up somehow. sling on a loader or skid steer? What does your vet suggest?

Jim

An experienced cattle farmer helped me pull the calf. His suggestion was to give her until tommorrow, but he didn't think the prospects were good that she would get up. Large animal vets are few and far between here and if you can get one at all.

I don't suppose you have even considered giving her a shot of Banamine? I went thru that numerous times a few yrs ago when my friend bred a terrible calving ease bull to a bunch of inbred shorthorns. We were having 6 year old cows paralized. The Banamine really makes a difference in how quickly they recover.

SRBeef":3cisd24l said:
not good when they are on their side. Next step is on their back and the next step is the rendering truck.

I would try to get her up somehow. sling on a loader or skid steer? What does your vet suggest?

Jim
We always got em up using a sling and the front end loader, worked the back legs back and forth for a few minutes in the morning and evening. Sometimes they stay up after a few days to a week, sometimes they never do.

Got her laying upright about 10:00. Went back to check on her at 1:00 in the morning and she's up walking around. Thanks for the help/advice.

D Land":6ydwt9cr said:
Got her laying upright about 10:00. Went back to check on her at 1:00 in the morning and she's up walking around. Thanks for the help/advice.
Glad to hear it. Sure takes a load off the mind when things turn out ok.

D Land":310t7zeu said:

Good news! Some cattle stories have a good ending. Congratulations.

Jim

D Land":2ksrer9a said:

Why? I have seen cows come back from this and have several calves without trouble. This is no guarantee that it will ever happen again. My buddy had it happen to a heifer 5 years ago. She has had a calf every year since then with no complications and she was down for almost 2 days.

3waycross":3cn7bgi8 said:
D Land":3cn7bgi8 said:

Why? I have seen cows come back from this and have several calves without trouble. This is no guarantee that it will ever happen again. My buddy had it happen to a heifer 5 years ago. She has had a calf every year since then with no complications and she was down for almost 2 days.
For me it woould depend on how big the calf was and if it was because of the cow or the bull.

Dun we knew for sure it was mostly the bull. After that first calf crop we never had one paralize but we also never let that sorry sob breed another heifer on purpose.

It was a large calf and difficult to pull. I have 9 other calves from the same bull this year and they have all been good in terms of birth weight. I've had this cow 8-9 years and she's always had good calves. However, she is a difficult cow to care for - she's a loner with little if any herd instinct which makes it nearly impossible to catch her when needed. I have considered selling here several times in the past. This is just the deciding factor.