Cow not really trying to calve

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
I have a cow that has broke her water for about 30 minutes, I was expecting her to calf so its not really a suprise it happended but, I have seen a front left foot come out but then go back in, she is still running around and has not laid down like she is in any pain or is trying to calve, all the calves I've seen born the cow was struggling a little and haven't been as lively as she is, its like she isn't trying to have it at all, how long before I intervene and should I be able to see both front feet instead of just the calves left foot?

This is a million $ question with many answers
1. how old is the cow and has she calved before
2. when you saw the foot, was it big
3. the other calves that were born this year, were the from the same bull?
4 the calves that were born, were they hard labour?

if you are unsure, head gate the cow, clean the back end, glove up and check. it could be as simple as the other foot is back and she can't settle...
...or call the vet

RR,
Maybe they are out there trying to do what you told them to do.

I always thought that you gave the heifer a little more time than an older cow, not the other way around.

two and a half hours since post...just curious? For us, if a heifer is not getting down to business 45 minutes after the bag bursts...this means no progess of a foot or two, no desire to push...we check. If all is well we will leave her for another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. We err on the side of caution when they just do not want to settle down and no progress is made. Sometimes it's just a gut feeling. You know, the way a cow looks, and acts, that says "I got me a problem, alittle help over here!"
Then there are some we do leave a little longer. It all depends on the situation and what is going on. Each time is different.
The other reason why we are a little inclined to check, but not pull, a little early is our distance to the vet. If there is a problem, by the time the trailer is hooked up, cow loaded, taken to the vet 1.5 hours could have elapsed. That is much needed time to save a calf if the problem ever arose. If the vet makes the house call, it could be 2 or 3 hours before she arrives. Which because it's a busy time of the year, calving and all, she prefers that the farmers bring the cow in, then it cuts her travel time and it allows her to help more farmers in a day.

I understand.

I always give my heifers a little more time before I get involved. As long as I can see both front hooves and a nose I am content to wait a while. With my older cows, I tend to get concerned when they don't slide out pretty quick.

She finally calved out fine, I've just never had a person experience where a cow was in as good of mood and as active as she was while in labor. She must just have easy births because the calf was on the ground the next time I checked on her. (About 25 minutes later) it was feeding time and its like she didn't even try to give birth until after she was done eating, anyway a healthy small little heifer calf is up and nursing now, and as one of the other posts says on here all is well, that ends well. I'll post a couple photos if it meets any ones fancy.

DitchBank":1fecoeig said:
She finally calved out fine, I've just never had a person experience where a cow was in as good of mood and as active as she was while in labor. She must just have easy births because the calf was on the ground the next time I checked on her. (About 25 minutes later) it was feeding time and its like she didn't even try to give birth until after she was done eating, anyway a healthy small little heifer calf is up and nursing now, and as one of the other posts says on here all is well, that ends well. I'll post a couple photos if it meets any ones fancy.

I had one cow do that once. Only she was laying down pushing hard. I put out the feed and she ran 1/4 mile to not miss any. As soon as the grain was gone she wandered back down to where she had been, pushed a copule of times and popped the calf out. Never before or since have seen a cow just shut off labor to rat. I've seen them do it when I've wandered too close and bothered them though.

i had one come up with feet sticking out, she ate then went back and had the calf. she was only about
50 yards away under a tree.

rockridgecattle":2s93ti9x said:
We err on the side of caution when they just do not want to settle down and no progress is made. Sometimes it's just a gut feeling. You know, the way a cow looks, and acts, that says "I got me a problem, alittle help over here".
A number of years ago I had a bull that gave me a lot of calving problems. Seems like if I ever saw a cow trying to calve it was because she needed help. I remember once walking a cow about a quarter mile to the lot with no problem. This being a cow that was not the friendliest type of cow. Still don't like to come up on one while trying to calve but most of mine that don't need help have always turned and start to leave. If they do that, I quickly do the same.

jcarkie":vy6mgsp0 said:
i had one come up with feet sticking out, she ate then went back and had the calf. she was only about
50 yards away under a tree.
Ditto... we wanted her in the barn (due to temps) so rattled a feed bucket... she came running (with feet hanging out). We went back in the house and she finished calving. It was funny because the bull stood there at the gate almost like a father-in-waiting... though I know he was just seeing if any of that food was for him! Around here you can get these gals to do just about anything/go anywhere for grain....

Latest posts