cow not calving

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
I ran a bull 2 months with 5 cows, 3 of those cows had there calves within a week of each other , one of the other two left does not even look preg and cows try to ride her so pretty sure shes not bred not sure about the last one she is an older cow not bagging up but looks pretty big. Can waiting to long to wean last calves have an impact on preg the two cows not calving were the last to wean ?(calves about 7 mo when weaned)

Only if it brought their body condition down to the point that they weren;t fertile.

Last year we ran one bull with 5 cows. Our calving went from the last week of May to the first week of July. One heifer never did turn up bred, and he was with them from Aug 1st until the first cow calved the end of May. Anyhow, the calving season lasted 6 weeks with the 4th one calving several weeks after the 3rd. He missed two cycles I am thinking before he bred her. And I agree with duns response on them not breeding back.

Nothing wrong with a 7 month weaning. If the cow was in good condition she should have gotten bred. If not, she should be culled. (I am just kind of ruling out the possibilty of the bull, BCS, or nutrition being the problem because the other 3 calved.)

The two cows are in very good condition, the younger of the two cows has been breed three years in a row, the first time we watch the bull breed her 3 times in an hour and she was with him each time for 2 full months,( she has only calved once which was last year, great healthy baldy heifer) the older cow, is just that older though she looks preg or very very fat but thinkin now she was breed maybe last one gonna calve I hope!

7 months is normal weaning age. If you cows are in good condition and cycling (since you observed breedings) than the bulls sperm quality should be questioned. Also, being in good condition and cycling and NOT receiving proper minerals can affect the cows ability to settle - but not as probable as it is the bulls fault. "shooting blanks - or very low quality"

Latest posts