cow not acting right

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
i have a 7 or 8 year old cow that is not geting around to good. this started around a week ago.
she is the last cow to the feed and hay, walks real slow like she is sore. she still eats good.
her last calf was 12-16-13 so she should not be that far away.
will try to post a video tomorrow.

Very good chance her being heavy with calf is the reason. Sometimes they will even limp from the calf pressing on a nerve. Hope thats all it is.

Hopefully it's just being heavy with calf slowing her down. Some cows seem pretty miserable when they are close to calving. It might be worthwhile to keep her in a separate lot to keep a closer eye on her for a few days if you have a spot. That way she might not have to walk as much and won't have to compete for feed/hay with the others since it sounds like she is at a disadvantage right now. I've had some pull/sprain things slipping in the mud in winter, and that can slow them down for a few days as well.

scf84":31c3jo2c said:
i have a 7 or 8 year old cow that is not geting around to good. this started around a week ago.
she is the last cow to the feed and hay, walks real slow like she is sore. she still eats good.
her last calf was 12-16-13 so she should not be that far away.
will try to post a video tomorrow.

Checking her feet might be as useful as checking an internet forum.
If her feet check out good, then other possibilities like suggested above become much more likely.
How are the ground conditions? Stony, deep mud, frozen mud... anything like that that might predispose to bruising, foot injury or footrot?

Pulling from the herd is never good unless you can see visible signs of her being ready to calve.

here is a video of the cows i was talking about not acting right. seems like there is something wrong with her back legs. this is right after she just stood up after a couple minutes think she was walking alittle better. the pasture has been dry, no mud, very few rocks. weather has not been bad yet,not really able to check her feet as they are not near my catch pen with headshoot.
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v17 ... zi46ku.mp4

Kinda looks like some nerve damage with her high stepping. Talk to your vet he maybe he will be able to give an anti inflammatory. She looks like she has a while to go before she calves. After reading brangus cowgirl thread some blood test might be in order.

That is not good. She walks like she is on egg shells, or similar to a cow that has fescue foot (beginning stages). She is definatly in pain, and for her being close to calving she is a bit thin. Is that because she is not eating well? I would have a vet look at her as soon as possible, of she was my cow. They are too valuable today to not get it checked out.

I agree with regolith. Have a look at her feet and try to determine if there are lesions or if the hooves are sensitive. From the video, it looks like laminitis...

Looks like it could be anything from her feet to a mineral deficiency. Get her in and call your vet, would be my advice.

kenny thomas":1zks97lo said:
Very good chance her being heavy with calf is the reason. Sometimes they will even limp from the calf pressing on a nerve. Hope thats all it is.
After looking at the video, that is not what I usually see from a calf pressing on a nerve. Hope you find out what is causing it.

went to check on her this morning and she was doing basically the same thing, got a bucket of feed and finally got her inside a holding pin and gave her some pasture pro mineral (didnt eat much have done been giving it to the whole herd and they are about tired of it) and nearly a 5 gallon bucket of pellet feed and she ate almost everybite of it and just alittle bit of hay. for now she is in the pin walking around like a normal cow, not sure what changed,but hoping she will continue to get better. im going to keep her in the pin with feed and water so i can keep a better eye on her and she wont have to walk along ways to get water.

Latest posts