Cow milking blood

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks all for the help

The cow is deffinately better, the milk looks lighter then strawberry milk.

The calf is another story. I went to the vet and he gave me Quatracon (sp?) 15 cc 2 times a day and an antibiotic to give him for 5 days. Last night he couldn't even hold his head up off of the ground. I thought for sure this morning I would go out there and he would be dead. But he is doing a little better this morning. He was sitting up and I stood him up for almost a minute he stood on his own. He might just make it, I sure hope so, he had a vet bill he has to pay now :lol:

Hope it works out for you. We have found that around here a vet bill is something we DON'T need so if they don't make it on their own we let mother nature do her thing.

Wait wait wait. I didn't say that right. We DO try everything we can first but we don't take them to the vet.

I understand your point, you have a lot more cattle then I do so maybe 1 calf doesn't impact your overall budget. But for me 1 lost calf impacts my budget. If I can spend $50 at the vet and still sell a weaned calf then it is well worth my effort, in my opinion then a dead calf. Now, I will draw the line if there is something wrong with the calf to the point it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars or more. There is no way for me to recoop that sort of money on the calf. I do everything I can and try my best to follow advice given on this board and the vets and older cattlemen around that know more then I do. But if an animal is going downhill despite my efforts I don't want it to suffer so I will haul it to the vet. I have seen them practically do miracles. Thanks for your information! I really do appreciate it!