Cow manure

Help Support CattleToday:

1. Very runny manure. Often characterized by its arcing motion as it exits the cow. It is indicative of potential health concerns.
2. Runny manure. This rating describes manure that is loose and often splatters. It measures less than 2.5 cm tall when on the ground.
3. Porridge-like manure. This manure is often considered healthy, rising 4 to 6 cm off the ground when piled.
4. Thicker manure. This type stands more than 5 cm off the ground and will stick to the toe of a shoe.
5. Firm fecal balls. Often this type of manure suggests potential health issues or a need for a ration adjustment.
http://www.hoards.com/blog_monitor-manure

seems pretty consistent with what I look at and how it was explained to me.

My dad is big on looking at manure. I used to think he didn't know what he was looking at. Scholarly articles prove him right, and me wrong.

Interesting. I am a student of poop myself. I find myself checking dog, chicken, cow and horse poop every time I enter the pasture. I especially like to check for dead worms after I worm them. Never find any though...........

I have studied it a little..

I noticed the pies from the cows I found to be more efficient (by my not very scientific standards) had a finer grained poop.. I started observing the cows carefully.. What I found was the ones that were more efficient chewed each mouthful of cud up to double the number of chews the others did... I have yet to determine if this is a learned trait or genetic.. Expect my thesis in 40 years!