Cow Magnets

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I've been wondering lately what happens to the magnets when a cow is slaughtered. Are they just discarded with the guts or does somebody remove them? If they are removed would there be a market for them, or would anyone even know that they were used?

:lol: My random question for the week.

Don;t know about the slaughter houses, but when we butcher one with a magnet we take it out, clean it and put it in another cow if one is needed.
The newer types are made from laminated sections of magnet and plastic with a stainless pin through them. Afte a copule of years they pretty much have fallen apart and are useless

Ewww, thats gross. :lol: So how many cows can a magnet last through?

FarmGirl10":xh0u2nkq said:
Ewww, thats gross. :lol: So how many cows can a magnet last through?

The most we used was 3 cows, but that was the old style that was solid stainless and about the size of an index finger. Still have a couple of used ones laying around somewhere. We used them in everything when we fed hay that was wire tied. With the twine and net wrap we haven;t had a hardware problem.

We can still get the old magnets , they cost twice the price but last a life time. As far as what happens at slaughter I have no idea but at 20 bucks a magnet it would be a good idea for the processors to search the awful for a magnet and recycle it..especially dairy culls..

You do think of funny questions FG,,but I guess I have thought about that also,, just never asked.. :lol2:

I have put down a cow with a magnet in her and tried to find it, even used another one searching everywhere but never did get the sucker.. :roll:

I recall in my youth when a cow died out in the sticks, after awhile you'd find a pile of bones and....a magnet.

hillsdown":1zi9zum5 said:
You do think of funny questions FG,,but I guess I have thought about that also,, just never asked.. :lol2:
Just wait until next week, that one is even better. :)

dun":2y36ek3c said:
hillsdown":2y36ek3c said:
at 20 bucks a magnet

Good grief, I whined when they went to 4 bucks apiece

The good heavy ones used to be $9.99 about 10 years ago and now they are close to 20 but the cheap ones that fall apart are around $8.99 each. I know when I first saw them I thought wow these are cheap I should buy a few to have on hand, until I picked them up and they weighed almost nothing and read that they are coated. Junk is still junk no matter how good the deal.
We fortunately do not have hardware problems (touch wood) with beef but with the dairy every heifer got a magnet when they freshened jic at lot cheaper than an emergency call to the vet for hardware.

hillsdown":arg2p8bw said:
We can still get the old magnets , they cost twice the price but last a life time. As far as what happens at slaughter I have no idea but at 20 bucks a magnet it would be a good idea for the processors to search the awful for a magnet and recycle it..especially dairy culls..

I have put down a cow with a magnet in her and tried to find it, even used another one searching everywhere but never did get the sucker.. :roll:

$20??? You must be buying those chrome coated fancy magnets. Around here, you can good quality magnets for $6 a piece. Never had any experience with junky ones that fall apart and don't want it either. :cowboy:

lavacarancher":1jcp5n48 said:
FarmGirl10":1jcp5n48 said:
hillsdown":1jcp5n48 said:
Just wait until next week, that one is even better. :)

Am I going to be embarassed to read it? :lol:
:lol: Maybe.

We pay about 6 bucks a piece for ours but the dairymen I have talked to can buy them from the slaughterhouses for very cheap. Reuse them then buy somemore. Seems to be a good deal for everyone. They don't go bad. We use the same one on our steers (we eat) year after year. Take it out, clean it up and pop it in the next one to be raised. Think the one in the steer for this year is 5 or more years old. Just looks worn a bit but still comes out with a lot of metal pieces on it. Nothing big thankfully but it just takes once, so we just keep using them in all our cattle to be safe. Feedlot guys seem to like it at buying time to.
Double R

Latest posts