Cow losing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":232fkz79 said:
Jeez, don't get your pants in a wad Sky. I hope she was trying to help. I just hoping all mine will make it to the green grass. Our cows look worse than I have ever seen them. But they all made it besides the one that prolapsed. And everyone bred back on the first try so far, and all within 10 weeks of calving. So do you sell your good cows or try and make it through? I am going to make it through and do the best that I can. After all their only animals, my kids come first.

Lol funny hg there not in a wad just folks rub me the wrong way same as I do to some people. I would try to keep the thin cow if she were younger. I am buying bred cows in a few months and next year after the oldest cows 9-11 years old calf they will be culled no matter how good they are that's my goal

I noticed 2 out of 10 of my first time heifers lost significant condition this winter . My overall herd BCS is a 4 coming out of this winter . The herd gets the same stockpiled fescue and hay . I see where some say ship for this reason , my question is do the heifers get a pass ? ( I have noticed at our local sale-barn the thinner heifers don't do so good ) . Im in SC and don't have to feed much hay in the winter if I keep my head count right

fitz":2qj4rx1m said:
skyhightree1":2qj4rx1m said:
Hg I gotta say this has been the worst year and worst body conditions I ever had due to all the snow and rough winter we had here its crazy I never saw my whole herd loose weight. Then staying in constant 17 degree and below weather and all that snow really puts a toll on them I wish I had a big shelter to house them in and they would be good to go.

The weather hasn't been a picnic for sure. I run some wet cows in the winter here also. You have to stay on top of things because if they start going south in severe conditions with a calf on them you'll be hard pressed to get them back on track.

Mine aren't coddled, but If that girl pictured were mine the calf would be the first thing to go. She still may need some help getting any condition back. She's got quite a ways to go. If a calf alone takes that kinda toll I couldn't use her.

fitz

Sky
You could get the vet to pull some blood on the old gal and see what it shows. Might be worth it just to see what is really going on with her.

branguscowgirl":xpzxngwh said:
fitz":xpzxngwh said:
skyhightree1":xpzxngwh said:
Hg I gotta say this has been the worst year and worst body conditions I ever had due to all the snow and rough winter we had here its crazy I never saw my whole herd loose weight. Then staying in constant 17 degree and below weather and all that snow really puts a toll on them I wish I had a big shelter to house them in and they would be good to go.

The weather hasn't been a picnic for sure. I run some wet cows in the winter here also. You have to stay on top of things because if they start going south in severe conditions with a calf on them you'll be hard pressed to get them back on track.

Mine aren't coddled, but If that girl pictured were mine the calf would be the first thing to go. She still may need some help getting any condition back. She's got quite a ways to go. If a calf alone takes that kinda toll I couldn't use her.

fitz
Read Lucky_P 's post carefully. You need to feed "Quality feed" and quit always blaming the cows. Some are just starving to death on what they are getting fed. I agree, there are some "poor cows". But some, you just aren't doing right by them also.

O.K. I read it twice.

fitz

Sorry Fitz. I did not mean to put the quote on your comment. I meant it to be on Bobbys.
However I think that Sky needs to read it again also. He ain't gettin it..........

branguscowgirl":38sa0cll said:
Sorry Fitz. I did not mean to put the quote on your comment. I meant it to be on Bobbys.
However I think that Sky needs to read it again also. He ain't gettin it..........

That's fine. I understand now.
I put a lot of effort into making decent hay for my cattle.
I sell hay for horses (with satisfied customers) that my old girls turn their noses at. They're spoiled.
Sometime I'll get a few pics of mine that have made the winter with a calf on them. They make do with hay and minerals only.

fitz

fitz":1n2v9old said:
branguscowgirl":1n2v9old said:

That's fine. I understand now.
I put a lot of effort into making decent hay for my cattle.
I sell hay for horses (with satisfied customers) that my old girls turn their noses at. They're spoiled.
Sometime I'll get a few pics of mine that have made the winter with a calf on them. They make do with hay and minerals only.

fitz
I thought your advise was also very good Fitz! I guess that's why I accidentally added to it........What ever I did, I was agreeing with you anyway! Lol

I didn't want to read all 7 pages so il post without knowing a lot of what was written.
I have two that you would swear were being starved, only problem is they are stranding beside some that could pass for a tank at the feed bunk. We have something going through the herd and so far the vet hasn't found what it is. Have one or two a year hit and don't have a pattern either.

Latest posts