cow losing weight and foam coming from mouth

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a cow that has been losing weight. We had some watermelons that came up voluntarily and she has eaten every one even though they're green. She has a great deal of foam around her mouth, has started coming right up to us and seems hungry all the time even though we have lots of grass. We got range cubes and also packaged feed, which she eats like she's starving. Her calf is very large and is still nursing so we put her in a pen by herself. She keeps finding ways to get out. She seems weak. I went to get her some more feed today and the man at the feed store said there's a disease called "woody tongue disease" that is affecting several cows in the area. He said the treatment is intravenious feedings with saline solution. He also said an antibiotic won't help. No one seems to know the cause of the disease and he said it doesn't seem to affect the rest of the herd. I would like any information that anyone has on this disease.

Thank you for your help.

Laska Medina

[email protected]

Wooden tongue is an infection caused by a very common bacteria that settles in a cut or splinter in the tongue. Treatment does include an antibiotic, the cow usually starves because she can't get feed down her throat past the swollen tongue.

If you have a chute check her tongue if it is hard like a piece of wood she needs treatment. If it is normal she is likely just hungry, she needs roughage not just grain or cubes. Her getting out of a pen is a good sign she is looking for food.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Does this cow have Diarrhea??

> I have a cow that has been losing
> weight. We had some watermelons
> that came up voluntarily and she
> has eaten every one even though
> they're green. She has a great
> deal of foam around her mouth, has
> started coming right up to us and
> seems hungry all the time even
> though we have lots of grass. We
> got range cubes and also packaged
> feed, which she eats like she's
> starving. Her calf is very large
> and is still nursing so we put her
> in a pen by herself. She keeps
> finding ways to get out. She seems
> weak. I went to get her some more
> feed today and the man at the feed
> store said there's a disease
> called "woody tongue
> disease" that is affecting
> several cows in the area. He said
> the treatment is intravenious
> feedings with saline solution. He
> also said an antibiotic won't
> help. No one seems to know the
> cause of the disease and he said
> it doesn't seem to affect the rest
> of the herd. I would like any
> information that anyone has on
> this disease.

> Thank you for your help.

> Laska Medina

[email protected]

I've seen a few cows with woody tounge. They tend to tilt their head (jaw up) when they eat to try to get feed to the back where they can swallow. They may also look like they have a thick swelling between the bones under their jaw (the whole legnth front to back).

I've seen them treated with an IV of sodium iodide. One treatment worked, though the vet said a second is sometimes needed if you don't see results.

[email protected]