cow loosing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I have an eight year old cow with a four month old calf that is starting to get skinny. She has winter grasses,rye and some oats, liquid feed,hay,and free choice minerals. Talked to the vet and he said probably just short of teeth and cannot eat due to short teeth.he suggested letting her finish her calf and then sell her. I checked her and she is short and solid. He did not recommend anything else,any suggestions to help her get to that point.

She's probably getting sucked down pretty badly by the calf especially after carrying the calf thru the hot summer drought. Has she bred back that you're aware of?

any good milking cow raising a big calf should be losing flesh. but if you are talking about real thin with ribs & hips sticking out you may have a problem. did vet say anything about worming her?

TB, not sure about her being rebred. She is with a bull right now and the last two weeks.
Jerry, sorry i should have told you I wormed her with cydectin a month ago.

lrtx1, I thought about removing the calf. He is a good looking bull calf that I am going to keep for future use. I do not live on my place, spend about four days a week there. I am going to preg check her tomorrow and keep a good eye on her.

papavillars":3fdimahd said:
I have an eight year old cow with a four month old calf that is starting to get skinny. She has winter grasses,rye and some oats, liquid feed,hay,and free choice minerals. Talked to the vet and he said probably just short of teeth and cannot eat due to short teeth.he suggested letting her finish her calf and then sell her. I checked her and she is short and solid. He did not recommend anything else,any suggestions to help her get to that point.

Eight year old is not an old cow, good teeth go back to good grass.
When I was selling down if a cow was under 10 she was one of the young girls.
I still have one left that is 19 with good teeth, I sold the old ones.
You listed a lot of feed, do you know the protien values on any of it?
Is she getting rooted or bullied away from the trough?
I would put her in the lot with the calf and see if she picked up.
Does she have swollen looking jowl's? Thinking liver flukes here.
Another it takes a lot more grocier's to carry a wet cow in winter her feed requirements have went from 30 pounds a day of quality feed to 35 minimum.

CB, she is in a 40 acre pasture with 7other cows and 1 bull. I did not think of liver flukes,thanks will take action. the hay i did not have it tested. My vet grew it and my neighbor baled it. the vet and I also bought forty yearlings in the fall and they are eating the same hay and grasses,but in a different part of my place. I do not have the values of the liquid feed at my house, they are at the farm, and I know I checked them when I started using his product two years ago but I will recheck maybe he is now supplying a different product. Thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I posed the question to make me rethink all scenarios.

papavillars":271eo5l7 said:
CB, she is in a 40 acre pasture with 7other cows and 1 bull. I did not think of liver flukes,thanks will take action. the hay i did not have it tested. My vet grew it and my neighbor baled it. the vet and I also bought forty yearlings in the fall and they are eating the same hay and grasses,but in a different part of my place. I do not have the values of the liquid feed at my house, they are at the farm, and I know I checked them when I started using his product two years ago but I will recheck maybe he is now supplying a different product. Thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I posed the question to make me rethink all scenarios.

Check your liquid feed they had started watering it down over this way to keep cost down. Neighbors and I quite using it. CLS sold out to somebody. Nuther thing to think about with this flush grass going crazy she might be staying on it.
The cow's love the taste but there is nothing to it they will starve to death in green grass, it's all water.