Cow Longevity

Help Support CattleToday:

The old girl just had her 14th calf. Still looking good for a soon to be 16 year old. Simmentals have an EPD for Stayability. An index to predict if a cow will stay in the herd until 6 years old. This old girl is in the bottom 25% of the breed for Stay per her EPD. I don't think that EPD is accurate in her case. I would think she would be in the top 25% for stay.

aly.jpgallie.jpg

A two year old granddaughter with her first calf.
44 45 calves.jpg

I have not pushed the limits. We try to keep our herd youthful and saleable at all times.... you never know what's around the corner. Having said that, I do have two U cows :oops:

Very nice and she still has great condition, a great udder!

Just sold my almost 14 year old and it broke my heart. But she fell behind this year, was losing condition and bless her heart, didn't even have hair on the back of her ears. Winters are brutal for her. Couldn't go to the sale (cue the ugly cry) but I'll be darned if she didn't sell as bred. Of course, that makes me feel even worse. On the one hand, she deserved to die on this ranch. On the other, I didn't want to be the one to put her down & bury her.

I have a few crossbred brimmer girls pushing twenty. The rarity is I have 2004 Model Hereford still producing and maintaining good BCS.
Those brimmer gals last a long time. But I refuse to have a cow that is smarter than me. Some of those brimmers require a very smart owner to manage and work them. They seem to out smart me too often. But they sure are purty.:D

Those brimmer gals last a long time. But I refuse to have a cow that is smarter than me. Some of those brimmers require a very smart owner to manage and work them. They seem to out smart me too often. But they sure are purty.:D
Got to learn to lead them not drive em. You can lead them anywhere you can't drive them nowhere.
These two F-1 Brangus can. smell a trap a mile off.

Attachments

• D058C4D1-97BF-4B5D-AD9F-67FB2FBDB5C6.jpeg
    D058C4D1-97BF-4B5D-AD9F-67FB2FBDB5C6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
We don't cull for age. Got to be another "first strike" before we even worry about age. Have buried a couple that deserved to pass on here. My first sale barn baby heifer calf raised 11 heifers and 3 bull/steer calves and I put her down when she slipped and got down with her steer calf at 5 months.... she was 18. My 1st guernsey cow was 14.... 8 on her first farm, then 6 on mine. Had a super Red Poll bull that was going on 14 or 15.... broke a bone in his hock about 7-8 yrs old; and vet said he would never be any good.... kept him nearly 6 months with some sheep in a small pasture and it healed and he went on and bred cows for another 6 years. Have 2 angus bulls that we bought in 2011 and 2012.... both easy calving bulls and both still used on heifers because they are easy breeders.... easy to work with dispositions....
We have many cows that are at least 10 or more. We cull for being open, bad legs, bad feet, BAD DISPOSITIONS all before age. Then we look at if they are raising at least an average calf... if the calf is small, and doesn't gain, then we know her milk supply is just getting used up with her age. We tend to keep more heifers out of the cows that are here longer.... and we look at resistance to pinkeye also. Have families that just don't get it much and they are also more often keepers. Will cull for a bad udder only if the calf can't seem to get on the teats to suck. Or mastitis or blind quarters of course. Have one that is a 2 teater, but she raises a calf that will weigh right in with the averages so she stays. Had mastitis as a heifer, had several that year and I blame it on a heavy fly problem. She does her job with 2 and is an easy keeper and will come into a catch pen no matter where we put her. Great one to help teach others.
I also look at older cows at sales. Don't want bred heifers, don't care what their lineage is. Have a farmer here that routinely sells older 7-9 yr old cows and have gotten a few of them over the years and gone on to get a few more nice calves and kept some of those heifer calves....
Buy some one and dones; and have kept them for more than one because they did good and kept their body condition. Sell alot of them and have kept some of the heifer calves off them.
I want longevity. I want decent quiet dispositions, I want easy keepers, I want worm and pinkeye resistant cattle, I want cows that will raise a calf with little or no "muss and fuss", on grass and winter hay with not alot of inputs.

I understood that completely - I "call" my cows and they will go anywhere. Much easier than "pushing/driving" them. We use rotational grazing, so it was really easy to teach - and the newborns also learn quickly.
I also do not cull for age. Have several over 10 years old. Got a "T" model (13 yrs old), just gave me a heifer calf. She has had 4 sets of twins (3 sets in the past 4 years), only 1 calf was born dead. Cow raised her 3 sets unassisted. So, she has raised 15 calves. She owes me nothing. Cow is probably a 6.5 to 7 BCS. Stays that way ALL the time.

I have not pushed the limits. We try to keep our herd youthful and saleable at all times.... you never know what's around the corner. Having said that, I do have two U cows :oops:
I think it's a bad idea to have any policy set in stone.. if you got some old cows that are still making really good calves, why not keep them.. but having a herd with an average age of 10+ is also probably not a good idea

I've got 6 cows going to the sale barn tomorrow, they're 2, 3, 7, 10, 13, and 15.. the older ones I'm just sick of their attitudes, the two oldest will do everything the wrong way, left when they're supposed to go right, etc.. the 7 and 10 year olds are hard on my fences and I'm sick of that BS as well.. the two youngest don't look nice and both had vaginal prolapse issues coming up already.. no need for that either.
I my two oldest are 16 and 12.. if my replacement heifers work out they might go next year

Terminology differs around the country. Would you kindly elaborate on your definition of "leading" cattle.
I can call my cattle anywhere with a five gallon white bucket of cubes. To the pens various pastures etc. Now this is where the Brimmer shows up, no whopping, hollering, strangers. They know there environment and who owns them. If I need help I have them come over after the girls are penned. I can walk through them bedded down at night if they see a stranger in the daytime there headed for the woods like deer.
They are highly intelligent IMO.

I can call my cattle anywhere with a five gallon white bucket of cubes. To the pens various pastures etc. Now this is where the Brimmer shows up, no whopping, hollering, strangers. They know there environment and who owns them. If I need help I have them come over after the girls are penned. I can walk through them bedded down at night if they see a stranger in the daytime there headed for the woods like deer.
They are highly intelligent IMO.
My cattle do that too (no brimmer influence). I can do anything I want with my cows as long as I am by myself. If I bring company (kids, etc.) they are extra cautious and will head for the back 40. I have learned to do like you do and pen the cows by myself prior to any working, hauling, etc. or else it will not happen. Its amazing how keen they are to their surroundings. I've taken just one kid with me to check cows and stayed in truck while I was walking through cows. Given, the 6 year old wasn't exactly sitting still the whole time, but he did good. Those cows grabbed up those calves and started easing over the hill as soon as I got out of the truck. I get in trouble with the wife sometimes for not "taking the kids with you, they are begging to go" when I am working or trying to catch cattle to haul...she still doesn't get it because same thing happens when she tags along. :LOL:

We are the same way. Mostly is either me OR my son , to check on cattle. When there are 2 or more, they immediately look for the back hills..... I will get them in and then call him or vice versa. Or we will go together in the truck, the cows know both our voices, and mostly I will stay in the truck until he gets them in. Or he will tell me to call them and he will go out in the pasture with the truck or the 4 wheeler after the bulk of them are at or near the pen.

I usually get the cattle in at a couple of places, and he will do them at other places. Mostly who is the more regular one doing the checking at that place. I do like to get someone to go with me sometimes just so that they are a little more used to other people around them.

We can go out and call, without a bucket, and most will head in our direction. I try to always give them some sort of a "reward" for coming to call.... Have many times gotten them in with nothing more than an empty bucket to get them to follow in out of the field, and them give them some feed in the bunk or along the edges of the pen when out in pasture.

The old girl just had her 14th calf. Still looking good for a soon to be 16 year old. Simmentals have an EPD for Stayability. An index to predict if a cow will stay in the herd until 6 years old. This old girl is in the bottom 25% of the breed for Stay per her EPD. I don't think that EPD is accurate in her case. I would think she would be in the top 25% for stay.

View attachment 259View attachment 260
Another year and the old girl has produced calf number 15. She will be 17 in February.
P1010070.JPG
P1010069.JPG

I'm big on replacement heifers. If it's being done right you should be beating the market with problems which equates to longevity. With that said I don't hold cows as long as possible. I like to bring x amount of heifers in and x amount of cows out every year so there is a some what controlled flow.

I see a lot of commercial producers put too much emphasis on the calf and not the slavage of the cow, IMO. Selling a good fleshy cow at say 13 can yield over $1000. Trying to squeak a couple more calves out and her not holding condition can drop her yield in to a couple hundred dollars, a huge loss. With the thin margins on calves, sadly, a cows salvage price may be the most money she makes you in her career.

Our oldest is a 2010 model registered PB. Mind you I bought her in 2018 so she was already mature and proven.

Paid $1300 for her and a 50% heifer calf at side. Still have both. Both took embryos this year. That cow is the best cow we have.

Have a PB daughter having her first calf in January and her 75% granddaughter due in April.

Kindof regret using her for embryos but she was open and ready to use when we set them up. Will breed her next year though. Hubby said she stays til she can't walk or raise a calf (she keeps condition year round, excellent udder, low maintenance, good feet, highest WW every year for her calf... so no reason not to keep her).

Flushed her IVF this spring and sold embryos plus put some in the tank. I'd like to keep these genetics around for a long time.

Sold all of my 2005 & 2006 models this summer while they were nice and fat and prices were good. They all were still productive and had calves but I could tell their weaning weights were starting to decline. I just decided it was a good time to sell and not take them through another winter, it also makes room for some new heifers that I'm keeping. I've also been burned by keeping cows too long, trying to get one more calf. Age is a strike with me and if prices are good and you can get $1100 for a 15-16 year old cow I'll take it and consider it a home run.

Latest posts