Cow Kills Man

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Jan 31, 2007
ALLIANCE, Ohio — A northeast Ohio farmer was attacked by a cow and died a day later of a fractured skull suffered when his head hit the ground, authorities said.

The cow charged Steven Walker, 55, on Monday and knocked him down inside a barn on his farm in Lexington Township, said Rick Walters, a Stark County coroner's investigator.

Walker was pronounced dead Tuesday in the intensive care unit of Mercy Medical Center in nearby Canton.

Investigators plan to interview Walker's 8- and 13-year-old grandsons who witnessed the attack, Walters said.

The cow might have become agitated as Walker moved one of her calves.

A similar occurence in Indiana a few year ago. Wife said it was his pet cow.

When mom has a calf...pet or not...BE CAREFUL!!! She is a different animal for a time, at least. Her natural new attitude is generally normal and must be respected.

these things always happen "in a barn" or "in a barnyard adjacent to the barn". you never hear about anyone getting attacked out in the pasture (like my d.a.)

Mike, I grew up in Alliance. It was a holstein/Angus cow that got him. The kids are really shaken up.

Another feller and family friend was electrocuted by his roller mill last year. The engine was shorting out and he was standing in a puddle of silo sludge. Reached across the mill to hit the reset switch and got zapped. killed him right there. His boys found him laying over the mill after the power went out in the barn.
Cows aren't the only hazards on the farm.
Accidents are hard to deal with that close to home.

certherfbeef":2xt1a50g said:
Mike, I grew up in Alliance. It was a holstein/Angus cow that got him. The kids are really shaken up.

Another feller and family friend was electrocuted by his roller mill last year. The engine was shorting out and he was standing in a puddle of silo sludge. Reached across the mill to hit the reset switch and got zapped. killed him right there. His boys found him laying over the mill after the power went out in the barn.

Agriculture didn't get the number 1 accident rating for nothing. A few years ago, my daughter and I planned to give a 5 day old bull calf a shot one evening. The calf had been born blind in one eye and was pretty spooky. I had to throw a rope on him and got him down. My daughter gave the shot and got up to make sure momma didn't get too upset. I reached up and pulled the rope over his head and raised up a little as I did it. He decided at that moment that he had enough and reared his head straight back and the top of his head caught me right under my right eye. Bent nose, shattered cheek bone and broken eye socket. Surgery cost over $15,000 to fix me up again and this from a one eyed 100# 5 day old calf!!!

certherfbeef":2ro5yt6b said:

Hate to hear that. My condolences.

Things always happen on a farm that never make headlines But they leave a lasting impression on you forever. A few years ago a young farm boy decided to make his dad happy by putting in fence post. He had the tractor and auger ready shortly after he got home from school. What ever went wrong did. The boy got caught up in the auger some how and his mother went to help. Upon the husband/father coming after along day of work. He found his wife and son killed by the auger. The say the son got caught up in the auger first and when his mother tried to help it pulled her in also.

I think stuff like that has much more revelance to us and is better news than a car bomb going off in Singapore or a bus crash in Italy. Don't get me wrong, those are just as terrible but what do we learn from it?
If we were to hear of news like that it would probably make us think a little more.

I can't imagine losing one of my kids or my wife.

Mike, it's good to see this post, and the responses, it has been posted on here in another post that went down the dumper pretty fast.

I made sure my wife read this and maybe she can avoid making a silly mistake and turn her head or take for granted the calmest of cows can turn on you without warning.

The interview with the son was so sad to me, especially the part about how his grandad place the boys hand across his heart while waiting for the ambulance.

I agree the other post did go down the dumper pretty fast. This is a tragic accident, and worse yet the grandson saw it happen.

At least in this post no one is asking where they can find the video of it or implying the poor dead grandfather is a dumbass!

Alan

I know I wouldn't want to see a video of this accident. Those poor little boys. My heart goes out to them.
Why label someone a dumbass,because of an accident. This is something that ol man probably has done 100's of times.The same as you and I on a daily basis. But for whatever reason the cow got upset. And don't say because he didn't have proper working faclities. He was in the field,if he was tagging or what ever WE all do this,because it's our cow and we know her.
I 've said it before the least little thing can set a cow off. A sound,smell or a stupid grasshopper.
One of our cows charged at me last night at pasture. I don't know why,she doesn't have a calf and not even due no time soon. The only thing I figured it was a full moon. But that bought her a ticket to the sale barn.

Joy in Texas":2b8moasw said:
...This is something that ol man probably has done 100's of times.The same as you and I on a daily basis...

I've got 6 heifers due to calve this month. I dumped a little grain in the bunk yesterday and walked behind them checking for swelling, discharge, udders, etc. The snow crunched under my feet and my right kneecap is now twice the size of my left and is all kinds of black, blue and purple. One of them kicked and I was close enough for her to reach me. Sounded like a shotgun! Had I went down, I could have ended up as one of those "And he was 52" stories. We all need to be more careful all the time!

Beefy":1sc4ty3w said:
these things always happen "in a barn" or "in a barnyard adjacent to the barn". you never hear about anyone getting attacked out in the pasture (like my d.a.)

or mine.....

didnt we kill this earlier when i got everyone mad at me??

There was a lady here last spring, who got stomped to death by a momma beef cow, her and her husband were working cattle, and something just went wrong, she was dead before the ambulance got there.

GMN

Last fall I helped a neighbour who was applying CCIA tags & vaccines to his calves in the field. I was one of about 8 riders holding the mixed herd of about 80 cows & their calves, while a few ropers were catching the calves & dragging them out. His boy (under 8 yrs old) was standing some distance away near his truck & some other spectators, watching the rope work.

Everthing was going OK.

Suddenly a cow broke the herd and charged the boy, from about 50 yards away. He screamed and fell down and kept screaming; old bossie got about 20 feet away and thankfully turned aside. It all happened so fast that the riders couldn't do anything. By the grace of God nothing bad happened.

But it sure put a scare into us. The ground workers (with the vaccines and clipboards) stayed pretty darn close to us riders after that.

Latest posts