Cow Is Down & Can't Figure Out Why Or Best Action For He

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a cow that we found down around our feeder/shed. Doesn't appear to have anything broken or out of place. No real visible injury. She calved back in October. Now, she won't get up on her own, but continues to eat and drink. Seems not to be able to put weight on right hind leg. We have gave have given her magnesium/calcium and an anti-inflamatory. We lifted her the day after we found her down, and she seemed to be able to stand with assistance. But she has not gotten back up on her own. Suggestions for treatment. Ideas? Comments?

Either have a vet check her or vaccinate her with a shot of 45 between the eyes.
She ain't going nowhere, but maybe your freezer.
They make good Tacos and Hamburgers. Bar B Que season is coming on.

sounds like you are doing all you can do. call a vet. what kind of condition is the cow in?

la4angus":xy6of18c said:
Either have a vet check her or vaccinate her with a shot of 45 between the eyes.
She ain't going nowhere, but maybe your freezer.
They make good Tacos and Hamburgers. Bar B Que season is coming on.

This is the best solution I have heard yet on the board.

Beefy":2vnnkl7y said:
sounds like you are doing all you can do. call a vet. what kind of condition is the cow in?

Thanks for your interest. We did call the vet, however, if he had gave me satisfaction I wouldn't have been trying this Q & A Board. He just questioned possible lack of minerals-magnesium/calcium, said something about green spring grass. But didn't have any real answers either. Other than not being able to get up, shes is pretty good shape. Seems stronger today than yesterday, but I realize that she can't go on like this any length of time. I really don't like to put 'em down if some nonconventional treatment will work.

You'd be surprised what a little bit of minerals will do for a cow if that is her problem. I once found a cow suffering from grass tetany-she was just lying around sticking her tounge out trying to grab anything she could with it. wouldnt get up, was near coma i think. anyway, i got a bag of minerals and poured them out in front of her. She didnt pay any attention and acted like she couldnt see and just kept grasping for something with her tongue. i got a cane fishing pole and stuck it out for her to lick (she almost took it away from me) and then when it was wet i stuck it in the minerals and put it back in front of her and she licked every bit off. i repeated this a couple of times and then finally lead her down to the minerals and she found them and began to eat them. the next morning she was perfectly normal and has been ever since. she's 11 now. i cant stress enough what a good mineral program will do for cattle!

Don't forget to keep getting her up everyday. That makes a world of difference...

Had a friend that had a similar situation with a cow... she had a selenium defficiency.. took a University Vet to tell them this. when they finally figured it out.. she got over it. Might want to check on this.. is your area short on selenium..etc

Dyann":33quwgo4 said:
Had a friend that had a similar situation with a cow... she had a selenium defficiency.. took a University Vet to tell them this. when they finally figured it out.. she got over it. Might want to check on this.. is your area short on selenium..etc

That was going to be my recommendation as a start. First get a shot of selenium/vitamin E from your vet and get it to her ASAP (should only cost a few $$ as a whole bottle of this only costs around $15). Then get her on some high quality minerals. Remove any other source of salt that you may have so that she will eat the minerals. If this "fixes" her, have your soil and forage tested to see if you have some nutrients lacking. If you do, create a supplementation plan to make up for the nutrients that are lacking in your ground and forage.

Reduce chances for cattle problems:

Good forage or hay, clean water, complete minerals available free choice, feed supplements as needed for condition, very good fences, regular and appropriate vaccination & de-worming program, spray for flies as needed. P.S.: Only raise cattle suitable for your geographic area and climate. Only buy and keep quality, healthy stock.

The above should solve a lot of problems.

Latest posts