Cow in season

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have some Zebu cattle. One 3 yr old has had a calf yesterday. How long before it should be sent to the bull? Another one has had a calf 3 months ago and shows no sign of coming into season; can you give us any hints about how we can tell if it is time as we will have to send out to a bull. Thank you.

[email protected]

> We have some Zebu cattle. One 3 yr
> old has had a calf yesterday. How
> long before it should be sent to
> the bull? Another one has had a
> calf 3 months ago and shows no
> sign of coming into season; can
> you give us any hints about how we
> can tell if it is time as we will
> have to send out to a bull. Thank
> you.

If you are expecting another calf in 12 months you only have 3 months to get her bred. She will not rebreed if she is not in a gaining or good maintenance body condition (6-7). I would not wait any longer that one month after the calf was born. It won't hurt to put her with the bull when the calf is only a few weeks old or sooner. Do you have a defined calving period or are you calving all year long?

[email protected]

We can breed all year round but need to know what signs to look for or do we just put them with the bull anyway when calves are a couple of weeks old?

[email protected]

most cows average 45-60 days to come in to heat, some 14 days, some 70 or more. if you want her to calve at the same time then the end of march is when you need a bull. you can get a gestation table off of cattle today home page. if you watch for heat it may be longer, being with bull has some affect on the cow cycling. if you take her to the bull take her a little early. a week or two.
> We have some Zebu cattle. One 3 yr
> old has had a calf yesterday. How
> long before it should be sent to
> the bull? Another one has had a
> calf 3 months ago and shows no
> sign of coming into season; can
> you give us any hints about how we
> can tell if it is time as we will
> have to send out to a bull. Thank
> you.

[email protected]

When you put the mamas with the bull, what do you do with the 2-3 month old calf? Does the calf go into the pen with the mama, and will the bull leave her (the calf) alone? I am going to rebreed some cows that calved in late November, here in a month or so, and I have about a 2 acre cross-fenced pasture I was gonna put the bull and 4 cows in for about 60 days. Is this a good idea, and should I put the by then 4 month old calves in the same pasture?

sure they can all go together, if you are going to leave them together for sixty days. unless you want to wean early. you can leave the calves on the cow until 7 months old. or abou 60-90 days before they calve again.
> When you put the mamas with the
> bull, what do you do with the 2-3
> month old calf? Does the calf go
> into the pen with the mama, and
> will the bull leave her (the calf)
> alone? I am going to rebreed some
> cows that calved in late November,
> here in a month or so, and I have
> about a 2 acre cross-fenced
> pasture I was gonna put the bull
> and 4 cows in for about 60 days.
> Is this a good idea, and should I