COW IN LABOR

Help Support CattleToday:

A COUPLE OF NIGHTS AGO I HAD A HIEFER THAT COULD NOT CALVE BECAUSE THE CALVE WAS A GIANT. I BET THE CALF WIEGHT 110 POUNDS. WE HAD A FRIEND HELP US JACK THE CALF OUT BUT IT DIDNT MAKE IT. WE HAD ADDED IT UP THAT SHE WAS ABOUT 3 WEEKS OVER DUE. THAT IS WHY I WAS WONDERING ABOUT PUTTING A COW IN LABOR. : : :(

Yes there are shots, but I discussed it with the vet a while back and he says that it causes as many problems as it solves.

dun

To me a cow that cant calve is a pretty big problem. The calf didn't make it and it darn near killed the cow. The vet could not get there that night. Thanks anyway. Bobby

there is a shot you can give. check with your vet if you're sure of her breeding date and that she's overdue.

If a cow is over 8 months gestation, you can easily induce labour by using two injections together. Dexamethasone and PgF2alpha (I use estrumate) will cause calving in 40 hours according to the book. I find they calve in 30 hours in my experience. Ask your vet.

Side effects include retained placenta, insufficient colostrum if too early...

Good Luck
V

i would be more prone to think she bred a heat cycle later than you thought. even if you saw her get bred it might not have taken and she bred later when you weren't watching. i would let nature takes it's course, my opinion.

id never give them a shot i show brangus cattle and i gave one a shot and lost the cow and calve about 20min after i gave the shot. and they were the high dollar cow and the calf was small and she was due then any how but dont give them a shot what ever u do. i wouldn't. what do yall feed yalls show calves for more rump and more spring rib the feed store changed the feed own me no i dont no what to mix. thanks stroken the best. :) but i have just been in it for 5 years and the baides switches to much. thanks tho

Latest posts