cow in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

hey im new to the cattle and wanted to know how you could tell if a cow was in heat any ways i have a cow its been 2 months since she had her calf it was her first calf and today she started smellin the other cows and when she peed there was this white stuff in her pee kinda like semen i know this sounds gross but i need to know cus i dont have a bull a guy a.i.s my cows oh yeah and all the other cows started chasein her and buttin her really hard today please help me :help:

Wait till you see her stand for the other cows then call your AI tech. Generally, if she stands in the morning the tech should breed her in the evening and vice versa. Good Luck!

certherfbeef":1qqfp93q said:
Wait till you see her stand for the other cows then call your AI tech. Generally, if she stands in the morning the tech should breed her in the evening and vice versa. Good Luck!

But there is alwasy a catch to that. Sometimes the others won't ride but she'll keep trying to ride the others. Same difference, call your AI tech. Others will sometimes just beat the crapola out of her because they're tired of her trying to ride them.
The discharge is prbably just the lubrication type of stuff if she's still trying to ride. It will change consitancy and get sticky after she has gone out of heat.

dun

I'm a newbie too. I've had a cow for years, but I think I'll always be green at this. I try to AI my one cow every year and usually am successful. Last year I wasn't. I was getting really good at reading her heats and making the phone call at the right time, but she's getting VERY SUBTLE and I find that I can't read her so well anymore. I did see the initial swelling under the tail and heard her mooing on Sunday morning, but don't have another cow to watching for any mounting activities or anything. Absolutely no discharge to read at all. I leaned on her back, but all she did was turn her head and look at me like she was saying...." Reach a little over to left, will you? I'm itchin' there" LOL! I'm wondering with so little "symptoms to go with, how I'm going to peg this successfully. Was unsuccessful last year and fear that my husband is going to pronounce her hamburger if we don't get back on track. So, I've been on "cow watch" during this heat, but would really like to breed her next time around so that calving is at optimum timing for weather/bugs where I am. I used the shots last year...no go. I have used the CIDR and have been successful. Any advise on how to be successful this year, would sure be appreciated! Thanks.

Anonymous":3jb8029z said:
I'm a newbie too. I've had a cow for years, but I think I'll always be green at this. I try to AI my one cow every year and usually am successful. Last year I wasn't. I was getting really good at reading her heats and making the phone call at the right time, but she's getting VERY SUBTLE and I find that I can't read her so well anymore. I did see the initial swelling under the tail and heard her mooing on Sunday morning, but don't have another cow to watching for any mounting activities or anything. Absolutely no discharge to read at all. I leaned on her back, but all she did was turn her head and look at me like she was saying...." Reach a little over to left, will you? I'm itchin' there" LOL! I'm wondering with so little "symptoms to go with, how I'm going to peg this successfully. Was unsuccessful last year and fear that my husband is going to pronounce her hamburger if we don't get back on track. So, I've been on "cow watch" during this heat, but would really like to breed her next time around so that calving is at optimum timing for weather/bugs where I am. I used the shots last year...no go. I have used the CIDR and have been successful. Any advise on how to be successful this year, would sure be appreciated! Thanks.

With only one animal it is really tough sometimes. Why not pick up a steer for her to ride. You'ld only need to keep it around a couple of months then ship it off. You might also try one of the breeder pack mineral formulations. It can have a significant difference in heat strength and manifestation.

dun

dun":1vfx6co8 said:
Anonymous":1vfx6co8 said:
You might also try one of the breeder pack mineral formulations. It can have a significant difference in heat strength and manifestation.

dun

I'm not familiar with the product, but always interested in helpful hints. Is the formulation different from a good quality loose mineral? Could you elaborate please? Thanks.

bwranch":3p46vg38 said:
dun":3p46vg38 said:
Anonymous":3p46vg38 said:
You might also try one of the breeder pack mineral formulations. It can have a significant difference in heat strength and manifestation.

dun

I'm not familiar with the product, but always interested in helpful hints. Is the formulation different from a good quality loose mineral? Could you elaborate please? Thanks.

They're higher in some components, I don;t recall which. Seems like phosphorus may be one but don't hold me to it. Also has some vitamins, or maybe just a higher level, not sure about that either. For the herds around here that have a hard time getting cows bred on time the vet has recommended the stuff and it has helped. We've never used it, never needed it. Every year I say I'm going to try it, but when the girls start cycling early and conceive first service I can't see the point.

dun

Latest posts